Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to Live In

Options
  • 12-06-2018 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

We are moving to Ireland in about 1 month and looking to relocate somewhere within County Meath. I was hoping to get an idea on what areas are nice and safe and what areas to avoid please. Looking for a commute time drivable within about 40 mins from  Dublin airport.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭niallb

We moved halfway between Dunshaughlin and Trim about 15 years ago,
    and love it here. Couldn't imagine living anywhere else now.
    A few more details might make this easier for people to make recommendations:
    • Do you have kids needing school or college?
    • Any sporting interests?
    • Is it intended to be a permanent relocation?
    • Is Dublin airport actually where you'll be commuting to?
    • You say "we", so will anybody else be looking for work/commute and if so in what kind of field?
    • Do you have any friends or family elsewhere in the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭cordy1969

Hi thanks for your reply.

Yes its a permanent relocation, no kids, I enjoy a game of golf most weekends . Dublin airport is roughly the commute at this stage. And lastly yes my wife is Irish but hasn't lived there for the last 15 years or so. We are just making sure and trying to work out which areas to stay away from.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Dunshaughlin/Ashbourne/Ratoath all good options for your commute if you are based close to the airport.

You really need to look around at places though, only you can decide where suits you best. Do you want to be in a town with a good selection of shops, facilities and clubs/societies, or a village without those things? Good quality broadband important to you? Public transport required?

I'm in Trim and love it, around 40 mins to the airport. For me the right mix of town facilities, shops, clubs, scenery etc. and near enough (but also far enough) to/from Dublin.

A few golf clubs close by to choose from also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭cordy1969

Thats exactly what I was thinking looking at mainly Trim or close by but also Navan as a second option. I was just trying to work out are there any areas in those towns I need to avoid. The right mix of shops etc sounds great but as 1 of us will be home based the broadband speed is also important.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

There's also a 24 hour bus (1 every hour) from Navan to Dublin Airport, if you didn't want to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭Homer

Drogheda (or somewhere even closer to the airport) could be an option also and is a straight run down the M1 to the airport. Are you looking to rent or buy? Drogheda is a booming town with plenty to offer. Smaller commuter towns in between Drogheda and the airport also such as Balbriggan, Laytown/Bettystown beside the sea? Or the likes of Grange Rath on the outskirts of Drogheda?
    Just throwing out some alternatives to the likes of Trim/Navan direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lissoy

Have you looked at the Mornington/Bettystown/Laytown area?
    It's about 25 minutes drive from the airport with good connections to Dublin on Matthews coach or Bus Eireann from Drogheda. You also have the train station in Laytown. There is a local bus service to Drogheda every 30 minutes from 6:30am to 9:30pm.
    There is a golf course in Bettystown and you are right beside the beach. Drogheda is a good sized town nearby with lots of shops, hospital, etc... Currently there is a Tesco in Bettystown and a Dunnes stores at Grangerath and they will start construction on a Lidl in Laytown soon.
    Fibre broadband is available in the area.
    If Dublin airport is your location of work it's about half the distance of Navan or Trim with possibly more amenities.

Advertisement