Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Short and slow, or long and fast routes

Options
  • 12-06-2018 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭

do you usually take the shorter slower route or the longer faster route.

there are several places i go that you can go to multiple ways.
    my GF is always giving out to me for going the longer route but the road is straighter and limit is higher so it works out the same

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

If it works out the same time I'd go the long and fast route.
    Driving slow is more boring and on the slow roads you're more likely to meet some numpty going way below the limit causing tailback and dangerous overtakes.
    Also if its a longer and faster route you're making it sound like it has way better road conditions/surfaces so this is kinder on suspension, tyres and braking in the long run in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 81,773 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Longer faster all day long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

I always take the better quality road even if that means sacrificing 15mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Short route but drive faster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Long route for the Diesel motor, and more important the better road.

I'll expect "you shouldn't be driving a Diesel ... bla bla bla"

Relax.. the short trip is a decent drive also...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

you shouldnt be driving a diesel ..

< peter griffin > dea ya go < end peter griffin >

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Longer faster all day long.

That's what she said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Depends on the route. Some roads have long stretches, others are shorter with lights and roundabouts.

There's two ways to my local Tesco. The main road past all the housing estates or the N4. Exact same distance but N4 skips all the roundabouts. Easier on the fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Go one way, come back the other. Everyone happy. Or at least, equally unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Depends on the journey and what the expected traffic on the slower route would be.

A few years ago I drove to Galway from Waterford via Limerick as was the recommended route on my sat nav. This was before the new motorway from Limerick to Galway. It was a torturous journey and still is between Waterford & close to Limerick

On the way home I went via Dublin on mostly motorway. Think it was maybe 20-30 mins longer but so much more relaxing as primarily motorway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Thurles to gateway has 3 ways. Nenagh or roasted to portumna . Or through Limerick. Limerick is a lot longer but motorway for most

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

Regularly drive Dublin to Waterford a couple of times a month. I find the M9 absolute torture sometimes and just go the old route before the motorway was built. Adds about 15 min on to the journey but the drive is a pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Long and fast any day, at least it feels like you're making progress

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Longer faster.

I regularly do it in cork.

Go round the ring instead of through town.

It's better on the van. Less taking off less work on the engine and components.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A quatar of my commute is made up of going the longer slower way... because the shorter faster way is bumper to bumper...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I have a 100km commute each, using the M50 toll bridge. On my way home I take the N3 exit off M50, and go backroads coming out at Kilcock.

Can someone tell me, is it worth the extra €2 and avoid the backroads, and just use the M50 toll back to the N4/M4.

Also, I drive a 3litre diesel automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Wailin wrote: »
    Regularly drive Dublin to Waterford a couple of times a month. I find the M9 absolute torture sometimes and just go the old route before the motorway was built. Adds about 15 min on to the journey but the drive is a pleasure.

Wow, I can't imagine going the old road. I've actually never been on it since the motorway fully opened and it's a route I have travelled a lot.

Wouldn't be averse to the coast road N11 for a change of scenery from the M9.

M9 is a tough road if you are any bit tired though. Very monotonous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

lassykk wrote: »
    Wow, I can't imagine going the old road. I've actually never been on it since the motorway fully opened and it's a route I have travelled a lot.

Wait until next year when the torture that is Enniscorthy is bypassed.

lassykk wrote: »

Coast road is a nice alternative sometimes too alright. I usually do the old route heading back to Dublin from Waterford and join the motorway after Paulstown. Only when im alone though, missus and kids crack up if i go the long route! Easy for them as they're usually asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I had to drive it recently, and there wasn't a sinner using it. You're clearly in a minority (and welcome to it)! :D

I usually do the old route heading back to Dublin from Waterford and join the motorway after Paulstown.

That's the worst bit! At least north of Paulstown on the way to Dublin you used to feel that the hardest bit was over. Do you wash your clothes in a river and cook your meals in the fireplace too, just for pleasure? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

If both routes were going to take the same time then I'd take the long fast route as I hate stopping and starting in traffic.

fricatus wrote: »
    That's the worst bit! At least north of Paulstown on the way to Dublin you used to feel that the hardest bit was over. Do you wash your clothes in a river and cook your meals in the fireplace too, just for pleasure? :D

Ha yep, definitely in the minority! Only come across the odd tractor or a few cows nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I often take a longer, slower and more circuitous route back to Bray from the Laragh/Glendalough area, especially on a Sunday. Rather a slightly longer route where I can generally drive at the speed I want, rather than get stuck behind a convoy of US tourists in hire cars at 50-60km/h braking at every bend. It usually ends up slightly longer time wise but I feel better at the end of it all.

Advertisement