Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of doing LC French as an extra subject

Options
  • 12-06-2018 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am going into TY and I absolutely love learning languages. I do Spanish in school and I am basically prepared for the LC already in Spanish as I am always trying to learn more and more as much as I can as it is my favourite subject and my teacher is helping me to do so.
    I would love to learn french because as I have mentioned above, languages are my strongpoint and I think I would enjoy doing so. I am planning on getting lessons outside school. Do you think it is possible to start learning French now and sit it for the leaving cert in 3 years with the help of lessons outside school or would that not be enough time to learn that amount?
    I want to sit it for LC as I feel like I would be good at it and it means I could drop another subject to only do six in school (one that I am not so good at of course!)

(I am living in Galway if that makes a difference)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I love seeing people being enthusiastic about languages :) It's definitely doable. I would say Italian is an even easier option, but probably harder to find grinds for - both are lovely languages anyway! People might discourage you, but I started Spanish in college and had above LC level by the end of the year. Of course you don't do 7 subjects at college, but you do get the entire degree in a shorter time than the entire secondary school cycle - languages are very drawn out in school! Once you put your mind to it (and especially when you have another language to compare it to) it's easy if you have a bit of a flair. It can be tricky to avoid mixing them sometimes but that's natural.

I think www.ielanguages.com is an excellent resource (comparative language tables as well as individual, highly comprehensive ones) and memrise.com is great for vocabulary. Duolingo is overhyped imo and its French pronunciation is quite poor, but it's an easy and fun place to start. If you want any more resources at any point feel free to PM me, and take a look at the resources sticky too - it's been a while since it's been updated, but I added lots of language ones a few years back. Bonne chance ! :)

Advertisement