Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Asbestos roof Removal

Options
  • 12-06-2018 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a standard sized old coal shed out my back attached to the neighbours built in the 50s with an Asbestos roof covering the two. I wanna knock my shed down but to do so means we have to have the roof removed off both sheds (In one piece) and replace the neighbours roof...
    On the roofs there is about 6 sheets x 15 foot long.
    Could I go to my Dublin local council engineer and source the bags to put it in. Then get a good grade face and dust mask overalls and gloves. Whe you have the asbestos bagged seal the bags and take to the council waste site and they will dispose of it for a small charge. IS this POSSIBLE and what likely charge ? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I didn't know that you could bring Asbestos to the council for disposal. I thought you had to use one of the companies that specialize in it.

It's generally safe to work with until it breaks. Then it can be lethal. Will the council have bags big enough to take 15 foot long sheets without you breaking it?

A link to how you stand with the law : http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/asbestos_regulations.html

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

Anybody do this in Dublin recently & what cost ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

You cant do that.
    Yes there are rules about how it has to be packaged and badged, but you have to have a cert to transport it.
    There are limited number of places that can actually dispose of it (i think 2)
    One is a private operation,www.rilta.ie, in rathcoole. (think the other place is in cork)
    They wont (or at least they say on their website they wont) take it unless you produce the transport cert.

I tried to get the cert to allow me bring it up to RILTA and they were surprised I was looking for one as an individual, its usually waste companies that apply for them. They ummed and ahhed a bit, said they would ring back. When they rang back they basically said they weren't giving it to me. (Cant remember the exact reason now).

Edit: to answer your question, I was having building work done shortly after, so i left my asbestos pipes in a pile in the back garden and my builder got rid of them. As luck would have it He was having a larger asbestos removal done by sub contractors close by so he got them to pick my stuff up too, he charged me 100 euros i think, but im lead to believe it costs alot more than that for a single call out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

jmBuildExt wrote: »

Edit: to answer your question, I was having building work done shortly after, so i left my asbestos pipes in a pile in the back garden and my builder got rid of them. As luck would have it He was having a larger asbestos removal done by sub contractors close by so he got them to pick my stuff up too, he charged me 100 euros i think, but im lead to believe it costs alot more than that for a single call out.

I've heard that exact story from another builder, funny how they always know someone else who will deal with it that is working near by.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

my3cents wrote: »
    I've heard that exact story from another builder, funny how they always know someone else who will deal with it that is working near by.

Haha - Im not sure if you are questioning the truth in it and that he got rid through other means :) - im sure it happens

In this case it was all above board, I know the other job he was doing - huge set of sheds with asbestos roofs had to be demolished - would have had some job burying these in a skip :)
    And he did have some certs/receipts that he flashed at me - I didn't take much notice of them though at the time.
    And the lads had space suits on so they must have been real :)

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote:

Many builders have a yard or lock up. They would collect things like this till they had enough to dispose of.

There are cowboys too

Question still not really answered - so did anybody get a small Asbestos roof removed in Dublin recently & who done it for them or how did they get it done ? Thanks

harry999 wrote: »
    Question still not really answered - so did anybody get a small Asbestos roof removed in Dublin recently & who done it for them or how did they get it done ? Thanks

I had a coal shed roof removed while getting an extension. Builder took the roof to his storage yard for free

Why not Google Asbestos roof removal in Dublin & they will quote over the phone. There are several licensed companies in Dublin alone. They'll give two separate quotes. One removal on its own & take down the roof & remove it. It's simple enough to take the roof down yourself & only dangerous if you break it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Hi, i got a quote of 480 + VAT recently(end of last year) from a Dublin company for removal and disposal of a boiler house roof. Roughly 2 m square.
    I contacted 3 companies for prices with measurements and pics. Only 1 would quote. I'll PM you the company name if you'd like.
    I ended up taking it down myself, wrapping it and contacting a large Asbestos company to collect the waste for a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭enricoh

Know a lad that took sheets off his small garage, he had to wrap them up on a pallet and this was taken to Germany iirc for disposal. Was 5 or 600 euro for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

have never seen them 15 feet long as they a re both heavy and prone to cracking at that length.
    as long as you keep everything wet, then there is no dust.
    given that you have a neighbour, need to be more careful

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement