Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging a curtain pole

Options
  • 10-06-2018 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi We are about to hang up a curtain pole- have everything needed but just wondering how many mm do we need to drill the screw into the wall- we have 82ml of insulation then concrete.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

By drilling the screw into the wall you mean into a hole and a wall plug surely and not just drilling it directly into the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Sink the rawl plug flush in the wall so the answer is drill the wall to the depth of the plug

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Sink the rawl plug flush in the wall so the answer is drill the wall to the depth of the plug

The plug & screw will only be in plasterboard that way & the pole will fall down. I think op wants to go b as f as the block wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Becks610

Thanks yes so we will drill the hole and then put in the rawl plug and the screw. How long should the rawl plug and screw be is what I am trying to ask as we need to get back into the concrete as we have 82.5ml of insulation first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Drill a small pilot hole until you hit concrete, stick in a slim needle/skewer and measure. Then figure out how much you need to drill into concrete and set dept on drill tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Becks610 wrote: »
    Thanks yes so we will drill the hole and then put in the rawl plug and the screw. How long should the rawl plug and screw be is what I am trying to ask as we need to get back into the concrete as we have 82.5ml of insulation first.

Line the rawl against your drill bit and mark off with a bit of tape - so you'll know how far to drill in. You can maybe add 1mm longer than the plug.

screw.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Jesus that’s a lot of insulation. Drill the insulation and stop when you hit wall. Put a mark on the drill bit. Take it out then add the length of the rawl plug to the mark. 40mm???
    Put tape at your second mark. Drill to just past the tape mark.
    Get a long screw and screw it a turn or two into the rawl plug use it to push the red raw plug through the hole and into the wall.
    You need length of insulation plus length of rawl plug =screw length. Whatever you can get closest to your tape mark.

Good luck we are all counting on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Conservatory gives good advice, there are also some good expandable fixings but I find them to be hit or miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Becks610 wrote: »
    Hi We are about to hang up a curtain pole- have everything needed but just wondering how many mm do we need to drill the screw into the wall- we have 82ml of insulation then concrete.

Thanks

USE A 10 0R 12MM diameter, 120mm long EXPRESS NAIL, drive it till flush with face of plaster board and then fit a suitable rawlplug in the compress nail.
    Anything else with long screws is a fools paradise.

google express nails for concrete

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They should have put a wooden batten or block in for curtain rails before they slabbed the wall.

I'd want to go 30-40mm into the wall. It's acting as a lever as there is so much insulation. Curtains can be very heavy.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    They should have put a wooden batten or block in for curtain rails before they slabbed the wall.

I'd want to go 30-40mm into the wall. It's acting as a lever as there is so much insulation. Curtains can be very heavy.

Good point might even want to go with a brown rawl plug with pan screw type width screws. I cant remember right now how screws are sized (too much sun and booze) 60s??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

USE A 10 0R 12MM diameter, 120mm long EXPRESS NAIL, drive it till flush with face of plaster board and then fit a suitable rawlplug in the compress nail.
    Anything else with long screws is a fools paradise.

google express nails for concrete

Never heard of them. But looks the business alright.

beauf wrote: »
    Never heard of them. But looks the business alright.

Its the only way to do curtain rails etc in deep internal insulation: they wont bend.
    However its a one way ticket if positioned wrong, they don't come back out

Its the only way to do curtain rails etc in deep internal insulation: they wont bend.
    However its a one way ticket if positioned wrong, they don't come back out

Hmmmm I’ll stick to a screw an rawl plug thanks.

Are they not for butting battens of wood on a brick or concrete wall ?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

150 mm concrete screw!! A bit of overkill but it'll hold the heaviest curtain no drama.

Use a 6 mm bit for a 8mm screw.

Hmmmm I’ll stick to a screw an rawl plug thanks.

Are they not for butting battens of wood on a brick or concrete wall ?

That is one use for them.
    The same goes if you mis drill for the raw plug, its one way :)

before dismissing them, I would suggest you get one in your local hardware shop, drill a hole in the garden wall and see how strong they are and see how easily the rawlplug fits into them.

It can be taken out with a vice grip in this case.
    wing52 wrote: »
    150 mm concrete screw!! A bit of overkill but it'll hold the heaviest curtain no drama.

Use a 6 mm bit for a 8mm screw.

Based on 40 years experience, I see the point you are making somewhat differently

Advertisement