Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Irish as a Mature Student for Primary Teaching

Options
  • 10-06-2018 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi There!

I've been trying to do some research on this and it hasn't got me very far! So I thought I'd see if anyone else has been in a similar position!

I have a BSc(Hons) and would love to do the PME to go into Primary teaching... but I have zero Irish. (I have all the other requirements!) What's the quickest and/or best way to do this? And is there any way at all to study these alongside each other?

It seems the 2 main options are doing Leaving Cert Irish or doing one of the Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge many of the universities offer. What are the pros/ cons of doing one over the other??
    If Leaving Cert Irish is my best option, any recommendations on where's best to go and do just one subject as a mature student?

Back Sorry (Reading optional! ;) ):
    I moved to Ireland when I was 13, and so was exempt from learning Irish, and hence got into college no problem only doing 6 subjects for the Leaving Cert. I'd wanted to be a primary teacher from a very young age, and the only reason I didn't go on to study for that in college here was because I didn't have Irish! I'm now 30, and having being made redundant a couple of years ago from a great position in an oil company, I've since been trying to career change as there are no longer jobs in that sector. I'm working in a very unfulfilling position in finance at the moment and am constantly researching where I want to go next.... but I KEEP coming back to my ambitions of being a primary school teacher! I always dismiss this as I have this idea in my head that without already having learnt Irish, it's impossible in this country! But I decided it's time for me to see if that's truly the case!! :P

Any advice appreciated!! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge will be far more expensive than the Leaving, for starters. Have you any few words at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

You could consider primary teaching in a special school? Usually no Gaeilge requirement there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Sorry should have said that Gaeilge would be needed if wanting to train in Ireland, otherwise you'd need to train in UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 neil123

Hey,
    A friend of mine did a LC Irish course for mature students, she said it was excellent as they started with the basics and eventually work towards for LC paper.

Advertisement