Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish LC HL Paper 1

Options
  • 10-06-2018 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Hi all!
    Any predicted topics on what might come up for essay topics tomorrow for HL Irish?

Maybe something on international relations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dazza216

Climate Change/Pollution
    Healthcare System
    Education System
    Housing crisis/homelessness
    Life of young people
    Bliain na Gaeilge

Pick a few of them and you should be fairly secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Conormahon234

Hi all, having just finished my leaving cert higher level paper 1 and got home, I have had a near heart attack. I misinterpreted the debate question as ‘pressures of society on young people’ rather than ‘pressures of social media’. I had it written in debate format and had a generic intro about young people’s lives before going on to discuss emigration, the leaving cert and drinking. Is there any way I would have picked up marks or will this be a zero? The grammar was pretty good as the large parts of the essay were learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Hi all, having just finished my leaving cert higher level paper 1 and got home, I have had a near heart attack. I misinterpreted the debate question as ‘pressures of society on young people’ rather than ‘pressures of social media’. I had it written in debate format and had a generic intro about young people’s lives before going on to discuss emigration, the leaving cert and drinking. Is there any way I would have picked up marks or will this be a zero? The grammar was pretty good as the large parts of the essay were learnt.

I am open to correction in this but th marks for the essay are out of
    80 for Irish phrases, vocab, launguage, debate style etc.
    20 for the points that you made.

So in this case you would probably get marked VERY low on the 20...but your mark out of 80 wont be affected by not answering the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Conormahon234

Never knew that - that has cheered the mood up somewhat! The only thing is i wonder to how much of an extent this applies to as you could write about anything with perfect grammar, hopefully I get lucky with the examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

They're not so foolish any more! That used to be the case but not any longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

They’ll give you marks for the paragraphs that relate to the essay title/points but those that don’t will have ‘ad rem’ written beside them.

I’ve had this happen to so many of my students and it’s only if they asked you on let’s say, Irish and you wrote about the education system and made no reference to Irish would you receive 0.

Basically it’s to stop people learning ‘by heart’. The fact you wrote about ‘young people’, will hopefully stand to you. Did you make any reference to the Internet etc?

Just to add, having received let’s say 30/60 in listening and 75% in your oral and 70% in paper 2 tomorrow you’ll still get a H4 overall so try not to be too disheartened (this is giving you zero in your essay). You’ll still be fine.

Get stuck into Dis/gnathrud and An spailpin/mo ghra sa! Run over your novel and you’ll be fine! Plenty of marks to be had tomorrow.

Advertisement