Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How common are friends with benefits (fwbs) in Ireland/Dublin?

Options
  • 10-06-2018 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

From reading a lot of different stuff online, mostly in forums, it seems that FWBs are pretty common in the US. One night stands are probably more common but it seems that fwbs are not far behind over there. Of all my friends, the vast majority, like over 80-90%, of their hookups that I hear about about seem to be just one night stands, and I’ve probably heard of about over 100 different hookups between all of them.

Are FWBs type deals just less common in Ireland/Dublin? I know that living-arrangement-wise Americans seem to be a lot more likely to be living in an apartment with people or on their own as opposed to with their parents, than Irish people. So I’d say this is probably a decent contributing factor as your parents are obviously gonna be less likely to be ok with FWBs coming around. Not sure if that would be the only factor though.. what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I've got friends, who are on benefits, if that's any good to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

There’s one lad who has about 20 odd friends with benefits. The rest of the lads have to do commitment and have kids to get the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,221 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There’s one lad who has about 20 odd friends with benefits. The rest of the lads have to do commitment and kids to get the ride.

Actually you don't have to do kids.

In fact you shouldn't be doing kids at all ya fecker

Edit: Ah, ya ninja editing fecker

Huppyyuppy wrote: »
    From reading a lot of different stuff online, mostly in forums, it seems that FWBs are pretty common in the US. One night stands are probably more common but it seems that fwbs are not far behind over there. Of all my friends, the vast majority, like over 80-90%, of their hookups that I hear about about seem to be just one night stands, and I’ve probably heard of about over 100 different hookups between all of them.

Are FWBs type deals just less common in Ireland/Dublin? I know that living-arrangement-wise Americans seem to be a lot more likely to be living in an apartment with people or on their own as opposed to with their parents, than Irish people. So I’d say this is probably a decent contributing factor as your parents are obviously gonna be less likely to be ok with FWBs coming around. Not sure if that would be the only factor though.. what are your thoughts?

Don't worry OP. It'll happen for you someday. You'll eventually get the ride

Have you tried fat birds with low self esteem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Probably because the population of the US is enormous and thus it gets discussed more, but I'd say proportionately it's just as common here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Bredabe

BIG fan of fwb, it can be difficult to keep the friendship bit on track at times.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Bredabe wrote: »
    BIG fan of fwb, it can be difficult to keep the friendship bit on track at times.

Hi Breda be. PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Zero Point

Even incels don't want fat women with low self esteem. Like they can afford to be choosy. They call them landwhales.

Here one of them even admits to it straight from the ass's mouth:

https://incels.me/threads/dont-worry-you-will-find-somebody.20313/#post-338411

"The only mature women with lower standards are the overweight low self esteem women who you all don't want in here".

FWB are more for those with options who claim they don't want anything serious or complicated but from what I understand many of them do go on to develop feelings for each other and end up in long-term relationships. I would think it is common enough here. It probably starts out as a testing of the waters and then discover they are compatible in other ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Even we don’t want to ride him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

mmmmmila kunis.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

There hasn't been much in the way on studies on the subject. My fiance and I started out as friends with benefits, 12 years later we have a three year old daughter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

There hasn't been much in the way on studies on the subject. My fiance and I started out as friends with benefits, 12 years later we have a three year old daughter!

Still friends I hope.

To me a FWB is set up to go nowhere, and if it goes somewhere it wasn’t. Well it wasn’t just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,115 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Move to Tallaght, OP. If you're there already, move somewhere else. You need friends.

Not your ornery onager

Even we don’t want to ride him

Ah jaysus. That's a bit harsh. You don't even know the fella and are saying that even fat birds with low self esteem wouldn't ride him.

And it's also not necessarily a wise move on your part.....you never know, maybe his oul' fella owns a chipper or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Ah jaysus. That's a bit harsh. You don't even know the fella and are saying that even fat birds with low self esteem wouldn't ride him.

And it's also not necessarily a wise move on your part.....you never know, maybe his oul' fella owns a chipper or something!

I don’t like chipper food anyway so...

FWBs is difficult to define. It can be confusing, especially given all the different terms used to describe it. Not to mention when people start using fancy foreign words. Like, for example, one I had for a few years - she kept calling herself my "fiancee" . I assumed it was just a fancy foreign way of saying the "F" part of FWB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Few years ago I met a bird at at trade show over in the UK. She was from Kildale, not too far from me in Dublin. We were having great auk craic in the bar of the Holiday Inn in Coventry and I ended up back in her room. For me it was just a one night thing. I wouldn't be one for having an affair. Not fair on the the wife and kids.

She found me on Facebook though and messaged me a few weeks later. Ended up balling her a fair few times back home as well. It was strictly friends with benifits though. I wasn't up for an emotional relationship, as I said, I have a family and could inflict that on them. Had to end it eventually as she seemed to be getting quite attached. Unfortunate as she was an absolute minx in the sack. Dirty mare.

Snap!! Almost the exact same here!!!!

As in I started out as FWB with your fiancee about 11 years ago!

We're still going strong on the oul' FWB side.

I'm not going to feckin' marry her though. Cows/milk etc. etc.

Few years ago I met a bird at at trade show over in the UK. She was from Kildale, not too far from me in Dublin. We were having great auk craic in the bar of the Holiday Inn in Coventry and I ended up back in her room. For me it was just a one night thing. I wouldn't be one for having an affair. Not fair on the the wife and kids.

She found me on Facebook though and messaged me a few weeks later. Ended up balling her a fair few times back home as well. It was strictly friends with benifits though. I wasn't up for an emotional relationship, as I said, I have a family and could inflict that on them. Had to end it eventually as she seemed to be getting quite attached. Unfortunate as she was an absolute minx in the sack. Dirty mare.

Awwwwwww. You sentimental oul' divil.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Huppyyuppy wrote: »

I have no thoughts on this

• Advertisement
Advertisement