Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotland trip advice?

Options
  • 10-06-2018 1:19pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Planning a trip to Scotland - just 1 night - 2 days. I know many here have done it before so can I get some advice on routes etc? Want to take in the best roads possible. Also suggestions on where to stay that is bike friendly and any other tips etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Zascar wrote: »
    Planning a trip to Scotland - just 1 night - 2 days. I know many here have done it before so can I get some advice on routes etc? Want to take in the best roads possible. Also suggestions on where to stay that is bike friendly and any other tips etc?

Hate to say it but that's not long enough to get to anywhere worth going to. The best of Scotland is up north and that's a days riding away. The south is nice but for 2 days away Wales or Kerry would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Look out for deer.............;):)

Indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

zubair wrote: »
    Indeed

They aint cuddly when ya hit them....:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

zubair wrote: »
    Hate to say it but that's not long enough to get to anywhere worth going to. The best of Scotland is up north and that's a days riding away. The south is nice but for 2 days away Wales or Kerry would be better.

I wish I could do longer but its short notice and myself and one other cant get the time off work. I'm going over anyway to pick up a new bike so 2 lads are coming to at least get 2 days of riding in - heading home in the evening.

So what routes are best down the south end?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The Isle of Skye is doable in that time frame, and its absolutely stunning.

Its off the west coast so although you're traveling north you're not crossing the country.

Google image search the Isle of Skye and be prepared to have your breath taken away

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Can't see you doing justice to Skye in 2 days tbh. You would only get there and be turning back again.

A trip to Glencoe and Fort William (Ben Nevis) via Loch Lomond would be doable.

Bring insect repellent for the midges - they are vicious over there!

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks lads. My mate mapped out a route with some advice from a Scottish biker friend to take in some decent roads and stay in a place that would be a git of craic. Can't wait now, I'll post some pictures and video when I get back

oragmZj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

One word of advice from some buddies of mine when they went to scotland last year.

Some of the road surfaces will eat your tires, so make sure they're in good nick and have plenty of thread left before you set out.

One of the lads had to make a pit stop to get new tires when he was there, others had excessive wear when they came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

and wild Haggis !! :eek:

• Advertisement

Interesting - thankfully mine are almost new but I'll say it to the others. What is it about the surface that eats tyres? The lads who did the route made sure they are decent roads and one knows them all anyway so should be fine so definitely.

I will absolutely be on the lookout for wild haggis! To eat hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Interesting - thankfully mine are almost new but I'll say it to the others. What is it about the surface that eats tyres? The lads who did the route made sure they are decent roads and one knows them all anyway so should be fine so definitely.

Not 100% sure, but I believe its due to the freezing temperatures during the winter along with salt applied makes the surface slightly rougher than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What's the total distance roughly? Some nice roads on that route alright - you can't beat local knowledge!

Not your ornery onager

It's the surface in the highlands that's rough due to freezing conditions in the winter. You'll be fine where you are going.

From the ferry to Glasgow is a bit dull but that said, it's somewhere different so will still be enjoyable. The park area is pretty good. Lots of average speed cameras where you'll be so get the tax disc in the right place. ;)

When you get off the ferry bikes will be first so get going immediately so you don't get stuck behind the rest of the ferry traffic.

Advertisement