Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change insurance to the wife

Options
  • 09-06-2018 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

So on my car insurance there are two names (drivers), myself ie the "policy holder", and my wife. We have 50% no claims discount (no accidents ever).

For the past 10 years SHE has been driving the car mostly, and 3 years ago I quit driving cars altogether.

Since we're (sorta) splitting, I want to put the car (insurance, motor tax, nct whatever) in her name and stop paying for her pleasurable rides.

So I go to my broker and he tells me yes we can do that but you'd lose your 50% OFF no claims discount, a bit expected TBH but to me it seems NOT FAIR AT ALL since SHE is the family driver deserving a discount.

Do you think that indeed there is NO WAY to change insurance details without paying DOUBLE?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Hungryhill wrote: »
    So on my car insurance there are two names (drivers), myself ie the "policy holder", and my wife. We have 50% no claims discount (no accidents ever).

For the past 10 years SHE has been driving the car mostly, and 3 years ago I quit driving cars altogether.

Since we're (sorta) splitting, I want to put the car (insurance, motor tax, nct whatever) in her name and stop paying for her pleasurable rides.

So I go to my broker and he tells me yes we can do that but you'd lose your 50% OFF no claims discount, a bit expected TBH but to me it seems NOT FAIR AT ALL since SHE is the family driver deserving a discount.

Do you think that indeed there is NO WAY to change insurance details without paying DOUBLE?
    While you may have quit driving 3 year's ago you didn't quit paying insurance.
    You have a no claims bonus.
    Your wife does not.
    She has been a "named" driver only during this time.

This will influence the quote you get.
    Your current insurance company may give recognition to previous named driver experience.

You may be best advised to contact them directly.

Advertisement