Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic woodwork

Options
  • 09-06-2018 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Could anyone recommend a book for someone starting out trying a bit of very basic woodwork? Looking to make maybe a small coffee table, bird boxes, basic garden furniture etc. In the book I’d be hoping for instructions in how to build, materials and tools needed for the job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’ve one from decades ago called “woodworking for beginners” (who knew), it’s grand.
    Come September there are often etc classes in basic woodwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Mod, maybe move to woodcraft

OP:
    welcome to the joys of woodwork

Nothing basic about a small coffee table :)

for garden furniture, if you are using pre-treated timber, get a good face mask, which is a good idea anyway, but essential if working with MDF.
    Plenty threads on this topic over in wood craft

Good luck!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Not sure about books but the tools should be fairly simple for your first coffee table.

Fine tooth saw
    Set of chisels
    Sharpening stones for chisels + some angle tools to help you get the correct angle on the chisel
    Speed square

If you want to fork out some cash then a table saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

A completely different option you could consider is to have a look at online courses. Steve Ramsay's "Weekend Woodworker" course is excellent and goes through the exact steps that you describe for each of six projects in the course, one of the projects is even a coffee table!

https://theweekendwoodworker.com/courses/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Take a look at some of the junior cert woodworking books may be the best place to start? Get the basics etc

Advertisement