Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Mathematics Interview

Options
  • 09-06-2018 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,
    I have an interview coming up for an AL poisition in an IT. I have never done an interview for a lecturing position before and i have been working as an accountant since i left college 4 years ago. The main question i have is what to expect in the interview and the main element of which is a presentation on the topic of "advancements in technology that have helped or improved the teaching of mathematics".
    All advise is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Ms92 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have an interview coming up for an AL poisition in an IT. I have never done an interview for a lecturing position before and i have been working as an accountant since i left college 4 years ago. The main question i have is what to expect in the interview and the main element of which is a presentation on the topic of "advancements in technology that have helped or improved the teaching of mathematics".
    All advise is appreciated

Feel free to drop me a PM.

The panel will typically consist of the following.

1. The Head of Department of the department that the post is in.
    2. The Head of Faculty / School or otyher senior manager.
    3. An Academic from another college, typically a Head of Dept or a senior lecturer.
    4. Someone from industry
    5. The panel will have an chair who usually is a member of the governing body.

With this in mind, there will be questions from each.

You will be allowed to make your presentation - keep to the time.
    You may be asked questions on

Your teaching experience, your research experience, Your industry experience.
    Some questions on your teaching style and these may be competency based.

You could be asked something about the college / courses etc...

Have a good look at the dept and the programmes on the college website.

Also think of an example where you showed innovation.

Also have a look at he STAR approach for answering competency based questions and also structure your presentation.

Give a quick overview of what you are going to say, say it and sum up. Focus on the question as the panel will take up other issues.

Bring it on a USB key and bring a printed copy for each panel member.

Keep the presentation simple, remember thinks like prezi etc... may not run on the computer, you cant go wrong with powerpoint.

It might be useful to bring a remote clicker to advance the slides as this may not be provided.

Pick a good position in the room for the presentation.

There should be water there, dont be afraid to pause for a drink of water if you need some time.

Also if you dont understand the question dont be afraid to ask for the question to be repeated or rephrased.

Also you said you were an accountant so it is probably for business courses. Have a look at the content of the modules, generally statistics will be important.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DilemmaDan

dingding wrote: »
    Feel free to drop me a PM.

The panel will typically consist of the following.

1. The Head of Department of the department that the post is in.
    2. The Head of Faculty / School or otyher senior manager.
    3. An Academic from another college, typically a Head of Dept or a senior lecturer.
    4. Someone from industry
    5. The panel will have an chair who usually is a member of the governing body.

With this in mind, there will be questions from each.

You will be allowed to make your presentation - keep to the time.
    You may be asked questions on

Your teaching experience, your research experience, Your industry experience.
    Some questions on your teaching style and these may be competency based.

You could be asked something about the college / courses etc...

Have a good look at the dept and the programmes on the college website.

Also think of an example where you showed innovation.

Also have a look at he STAR approach for answering competency based questions and also structure your presentation.

Give a quick overview of what you are going to say, say it and sum up. Focus on the question as the panel will take up other issues.

Bring it on a USB key and bring a printed copy for each panel member.

Keep the presentation simple, remember thinks like prezi etc... may not run on the computer, you cant go wrong with powerpoint.

It might be useful to bring a remote clicker to advance the slides as this may not be provided.

Pick a good position in the room for the presentation.

There should be water there, dont be afraid to pause for a drink of water if you need some time.

Also if you dont understand the question dont be afraid to ask for the question to be repeated or rephrased.

Also you said you were an accountant so it is probably for business courses. Have a look at the content of the modules, generally statistics will be important.

Good luck.

Great answer! The only thing I would add is to research the mission statement of the IoT (ie if it's DIT look at the TU4D website). And practice the presentation in terms of length and content- keep slides clean and focus on why you can deliver the advancements in the presentation, you're selling yourself along with your vision for how to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

DilemmaDan wrote: »
    Great answer! The only thing I would add is to research the mission statement of the IoT (ie if it's DIT look at the TU4D website). And practice the presentation in terms of length and content- keep slides clean and focus on why you can deliver the advancements in the presentation, you're selling yourself along with your vision for how to do this.

Agreed, I would keep the slides to 4 or 5 points max in bullet point.

Also read the strategic plan and a bit about the IT. The HEA have some great info on individual colleges.

Also staying within time is key.

Advertisement