Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What mains-fed Triton shower to buy?

Options
  • 09-06-2018 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi again

Assuming Triton do mains-fed showers (!!)... I'm looking to get one to replace our old attic-fed mixer. I've used pumped attic-fed Tritons before and was very happy with them so I'd like to stick with Triton, only this one would be direct from the mains. I guess a mains-fed shower would be quieter and lower kW?

I've had a browse on the UK site (Triton IE selector tool is broken) but some of their terms are stumping me and even with the selection tool, it doesn't make selecting one any easier! Seems to be a lot of overlap in their range and while there's a big push on the T90SR for tank-fed... there's no clear leader for the other categories

Anyone recommend a Triton for connecting to a main supply? What's popular in the trade?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭John.G

dollylama wrote: »
    Hi again

Assuming Triton do mains-fed showers (!!)... I'm looking to get one to replace our old attic-fed mixer. I've used pumped attic-fed Tritons before and was very happy with them so I'd like to stick with Triton, only this one would be direct from the mains. I guess a mains-fed shower would be quieter and lower kW?

I've had a browse on the UK site (Triton IE selector tool is broken) but some of their terms are stumping me and even with the selection tool, it doesn't make selecting one any easier! Seems to be a lot of overlap in their range and while there's a big push on the T90SR for tank-fed... there's no clear leader for the other categories

Anyone recommend a Triton for connecting to a main supply? What's popular in the trade?

Thanks

The Triton T90SR is credited with being the quietest tank (attic) fed shower on the market. A mains fed shower will only consume miniscule less power, of say 0.1 Kw, ie 9.0 Kw vs 9.1 Kw. The mains fed shower will by its very nature be quieter.
    I wouldnt advise changing to a mains fed shower unless you are quite happy that you have a adequate sustained mains pressure. I have a mains fed shower but I have a rock steady 2.6/2.9 bar mains pressure.
    There are some excellent posts in this thread.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057652148

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Generally the mains water pressure is rubbish compared to up to 10 bar in the UK. In the UK plumbers never heard of irelands biggest selling shower over the last 30 odd years, the Triton T90. This is because its was invented for the Irish market due to our bad mains water pressure. It is very unusual to hear of someone going from a tank fed pumped electric shower to a mains fed shower. On new installations we fit Triton T90SR or a Triton T80Z Mains fed Electric Shower. We only fit the Triton T80Z on a pressurised system (a system with a pump). We never install a mains fed shower to the mains supply in Dublin. Shower could work well for weeks and Irish water might reduce the pressure in the morning area due to the leaks. This can result in no hot water from the shower for days or weeks. I can't stress enough how bad mains fed showers can preform in parts of Dublin.

Buying a Triton shower from the UK, screwfix.ie, B&Q, Argos, homebase etc most likely won't have a warranty. Triton offer a 2 years parts and labour warranty here in Ireland for Triton showers that have come from Earthridge in Maynooth. These are the Irish agents. Obviously if they didn't sell the shower & as a result made no money from the shower they won't cover the warranty. Triton UK showers only have a warranty in the UK. If you buy a Triton shower that isn't available in Ireland then Earthridge won't stock replacement parts for the shower. All Triton showers intended for the Irish market have IRL marked inside the shower so they can easily identify Irish & UK showers

The KW is the same for a Triton t90sr & a triton t80z. 9kw. Having a motor does not effect the kW of the shower. In fact the triton t90sr has a low voltage motor. 24volt I believe. I would always recommend a Pumped electric shower over a mains fed shower. If you want mains fed I'd keep away from the UK stores listed above. I like the triton t80z 190 euro in Woodies & about 10 cheaper in heatmerchants. If you want to pay more (waste of money imo) you can see the list of mains fed shower on the Triton Ireland website. Buying anything more expensive than the t80z you are paying extra for looks & not better performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dollylama

Thanks guys

I've been reading up on the T90SR for a while now, including the thread you linked. By all accounts it is a great shower. I had asked a plumber to get one for me in a rental a year or two back but I ended up with a T90Z which was a noisy lump but ran without a hitch all the same

For mains supply, we're on a private supply at the moment which has good pressure but the water is a bit shítty in it. There's a council mains in the property this past 8 years or so which I never bothered to connect up but it has great flow and much better water quality. I'm going to ask the local plumber if he'll pop a pressure gauge on it for a few weeks so I can see ahead of time what pressure to expect. It's a rural area which underwent a big water upgrade a few years back so the council mains should be reliable and hopefully the pressure is stable

My internal "setup" is a bit of a mess at the moment which I suppose is why I'm opting for a mains-fed electric shower. It's an old cottage with questionable plumbing at this stage. All the copper needs to be ripped out and replaced at which point I'll probably drop in a combi boiler and go back to a mixer shower with some sort of boosting if needs be. That's the plan but for now I figured I could quickly bring in the council mains and get a shower and maybe the kitchen tap off it. When the plumbing is replaced, I'll get everything onto the council supply

Thanks too Sleeper12 for the bit about purchasing. I will be buying in Ireland if I go for one... my mention of the UK was just that the selection tool on triton.ie was broken. T80Z looks good too at 9kW. I like my showers hot and I found the 8.5kW T90Z dropped the flow just a little too low when the heat was needed.

I'll wait to see what pressure we have in the council mains before going any further. Thanks again guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭John.G

dollylama wrote: »
    Thanks guys

I've been reading up on the T90SR for a while now, including the thread you linked. By all accounts it is a great shower. I had asked a plumber to get one for me in a rental a year or two back but I ended up with a T90Z which was a noisy lump but ran without a hitch all the same

For mains supply, we're on a private supply at the moment which has good pressure but the water is a bit shítty in it. There's a council mains in the property this past 8 years or so which I never bothered to connect up but it has great flow and much better water quality. I'm going to ask the local plumber if he'll pop a pressure gauge on it for a few weeks so I can see ahead of time what pressure to expect. It's a rural area which underwent a big water upgrade a few years back so the council mains should be reliable and hopefully the pressure is stable

My internal "setup" is a bit of a mess at the moment which I suppose is why I'm opting for a mains-fed electric shower. It's an old cottage with questionable plumbing at this stage. All the copper needs to be ripped out and replaced at which point I'll probably drop in a combi boiler and go back to a mixer shower with some sort of boosting if needs be. That's the plan but for now I figured I could quickly bring in the council mains and get a shower and maybe the kitchen tap off it. When the plumbing is replaced, I'll get everything onto the council supply

Thanks too Sleeper12 for the bit about purchasing. I will be buying in Ireland if I go for one... my mention of the UK was just that the selection tool on triton.ie was broken. T80Z looks good too at 9kW. I like my showers hot and I found the 8.5kW T90Z dropped the flow just a little too low when the heat was needed.

I'll wait to see what pressure we have in the council mains before going any further. Thanks again guys

Off topic a little but its interesting that point re the "8.5KW T90Z" and the claimed 9.0KW for the T90SR and the T80Z, another poster who had a problem with his T90SR actually measured the resistances of the heating elements and got 11.5 & 13.2 ohms which translates into 4.6KW & 4.0KW or 8.6KW. Triton say that the 9.0 Kw T90SR was specifically designed for the Irish market so contradicts the above readings and as you say above even 0.4KW difference will be certainly be felt by the user in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

John.G wrote:
    Off topic a little but its interesting that point re the "8.5KW T90Z" and the claimed 9.0KW for the T90SR and the T80Z, another poster who had a problem with his T90SR actually measured the resistances of the heating elements and got 11.5 & 13.2 ohms which translates into 4.6KW & 4.0KW or 8.6KW. Triton say that the 9.0 Kw T90SR was specifically designed for the Irish market so contradicts the above readings and as you say above even 0.4KW difference will be certainly be felt by the user in winter.

I wasn't confident on the readings given in that thread. The OP tested everything proving that the shower was functioning correctly. I've tested maybe 15 t90sr since just out of curiosity & all the elements were definitely 9kw.

Unless multi meters are calibrated regularly they might not be accurate. I'd genuinely have loved to have been able to see that shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dollylama

John.G wrote: »

Interesting. In the case of the T90Z I was using, it was replacing a worn out T90Si which I think was 9.5kW so maybe that's why I felt the new 90Z struggled a little when the heat was turned up. Again though, I like my showers hotter than usual so I imagine 8.5kW is plenty for most

Advertisement