Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd Trimester Weight/Fitness

Options
  • 09-06-2018 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

I'm 28 weeks pregnant on my 3rd tomorrow, my other two are still toddlers. I've gained an awful lot of weight in this pregnancy compared with the other two, mostly due to the fact I'm exercising less and craving junk food all the time. I suffer from a sleep disorder which leaves me permanently exhausted so struggling to cope with it all.

I'm at the stage where the extra weight is causing back ache and I'm generally uncomfortable in myself. Now, while I understand I'm not going to be taking up running or anything, does anyone have any tips on how to stay in shape and curb the cravings so that I am still relatively comfortable by the end of this pregnancy? I walk my dogs every day but obviously that in itself is not enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

My pregnancies were a bit different because I had GD both times, but the upside to that was that I kept really fit right until the end by looking after my diet and walking loads, plus attending Pilates and yoga classes. I understand it’ll be much more difficult to cut down on the junk food if you get cravings and don’t have to do it for medical reasons like me, but I’d say give it your best effort at least. A no/low sugar, healthy carbs, high protein, high fibre diet and then try to be as active as possible. That should see you through the last trimester and will stand to you in labour.
    Obviously with the other kids at home not easy to find the time, but antenatal Pilates/yoga or even swimming would be all great options.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I did aqua aerobics on my first two pregnancies and found it great to keep a bit of movement going as well as dealing with the back pain. My diet every time hasn't been great due to nausea so I've been eating whatever I can handle. This time I've done some light weight and tone classes in the gym and walk whenever possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Should have mentioned I live in the middle of nowhere so gym not really an option. But I do think I should up my walking - maybe I'll drop off the old dog after 20mins so I've no excuse to go slow!

The food is a big thing though. I'm a vegetarian but atm my like for chocolate is way outpacing my willingness to eat veggies. I seem to have lost all control!

Managed to drag myself out of bed a stupid o clock and go for a long walk before anyone else was up. Now, if I can just manage this for the next 12 weeks ;)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I swam until 40+5 with my first baby. It feels amazing in the third trimester just to be in water and able to move and float and take the weight off the bump. I had been running until 25 weeks and doing light gym work until around 36 weeks.

With my second baby I ran regularly until 34 weeks and was induced at 38 weeks after his movements never really recovered from a bout of contractions at 37+5. For the last four weeks of my pregnancy before I was admitted I was just walking, stretching and chasing my toddler.

I've had two relatively easy physical recoveries from the deliveries, was back running after around 6 weeks both times. No lasting consequences thankfully.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, you've all got me thinking about swimming now. Wonder if I could organise it maybe once a week, it would be lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LittleWhiteDog

Have you tried swapping to dark chocolate? Because it's bitter you tend to eat less but still helps the cravings. Be kind to yourself, you are already running around after two toddlers. It's not easy!

Advertisement