Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Best Sat Nav to get?

  • #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 98q76e12hrflnk


    Hi,

    Looking to get a Sat Nav with preference for TomTom or Garmin with lifetime maps.

    Not really sure what is considered good. My budget is €150.

    Anyone know any good deals on or can recommend a very good one


Comments



  • Garmin SatNavs with Lifetime Map Updates, start @ €149 (British Isles Only) from this reliable company.
    https://www.mysatnav.ie/garmin
    €169 upwards if you need full European coverage.

    You don't really get that many extra features if you pay extra.
    The lower priced priced models are fine, unless you need specific features.




  • eirman wrote: »
    Garmin SatNavs with Lifetime Map Updates, start @ €149 (British Isles Only) from this reliable company.
    https://www.mysatnav.ie/garmin
    €169 upwards if you need full European coverage.

    You don't really get that many extra features if you pay extra.
    The lower priced priced models are fine, unless you need specific features.

    Ok thanks, really only need Ireland only maps.

    Was looking at a Garmin drivesmart 5LM




  • I didn’t think there was still a market for sat navs. Is your phone not up to the task, op? Plenty on online and offline gps apps these available these days




  • Was looking at a Garmin drivesmart 5LM
    I don't know that model.

    This ROI + UK model (€149) will do the job nicely
    https://www.mysatnav.ie/garmin-drive-50lm-irl




  • theteal wrote: »
    I didn’t think there was still a market for sat navs. Is your phone not up to the task, op? Plenty on online and offline gps apps these available these days
    A dedicated SatNav Device (when used properly) is far superior and safer when compared to any phone based navigation system.


  • Advertisement


  • eirman wrote: »
    A dedicated SatNav Device (when used properly) is far superior and safer when compared to any phone based navigation system.
    To be honest I haven’t found that to be the case in my circumstances, I find google maps to just as good if not better in certain circumstances.
    Google especially good when looking for points of interest..I have used off line google maps in a lot of countries without any issue.
    I got a phone holder that fits into my now unused CD player and connect to car by Bluetooth.




  • eirman wrote: »
    A dedicated SatNav Device (when used properly) is far superior and safer when compared to any phone based navigation system.

    I genuinely don’t see how, on either quality or safety




  • Surely there a risk of acquiring penelty points if you touch your phone when driving!




  • harr wrote: »
    To be honest I haven’t found that to be the case in my circumstances, I find google maps to just as good if not better in certain circumstances.
    Google especially good when looking for points of interest..I have used off line google maps in a lot of countries without any issue.
    I got a phone holder that fits into my now unused CD player and connect to car by Bluetooth.

    Ha ha, I have a very similar solution filling my unused CD slot. I also have a small window sucker type one that travels with me for rental cars.




  • eirman wrote: »
    Surely there a risk of acquiring penelty points if you touch your phone when driving!

    The very same as touching a satnav


  • Advertisement


  • eirman wrote: »
    Surely there a risk of acquiring penelty points if you touch your phone when driving!

    You don't really need to touch the phone when driving with Google Maps, in my experience. I had an older, but up to date, Garmin with me in the states last year. I ended up using my phone as it had lane assist and was better at navigation. Knowing to be in the left of two lanes on a highway exit is useful for example.

    The Garmin was very expensive also so not budget or anything. Also a very useful feature on Android phones is 'OK Google's. Say Ok Google, Navigate home. All voice commands, very safe :)

    I'm sure a new Garmin is fine, but I just wanted to point out how incredibly useful Google Maps on a phone is. I'm sure newer Garmin have lane assist although this is likely less of an issue in Ireland than the US. Road closures and stuff were an issue with the Garmin that Google Maps knew about, live traffic too.




  • Please tell me .....

    Do you get the same 3D view on a phone as you get on a SatNav

    (2D is no good really)




  • eirman wrote: »
    Please tell me .....

    Do you get the same 3D view on a phone as you get on a SatNav

    (2D is no good really)

    As in first-person view as opposed to top-down? Yes




  • I'm looking for a recommendation for a sat nav for uk and ireland only.Don't like using the phone.


Advertisement