Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to teach alphabet

Options
  • 09-06-2018 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

How do schools teach alphabets now? Still phonetics? It would be good to teach my children the same syllabus they will encounter in a few years if you can direct me to some online resources

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 hilarymcl

Yes we mainly use phonics in schools in Ireland. However I would hesitate to teach your children too much before they start school - there's a lot of important learning that they need first - how to blow a nose, do up a coat, put on shoes, wipe, flush and wash hands after toilet, share, open lunch box .... and on and on! If you have spare time teach them how to cook and measure ingredients, set the table, clear up after, work in the garden. There will be no escaping the alphabet in their first years of school and if they already know it all they'll be bored. However,  If your children can do all that then kidstv123 on you tube has the best phonics based songs that are easy listening for both adults and children, some great counting songs too,  www.starfall.com is American and a bit more grating on the ear after the 900th time but it's a great site for teaching alphabet and early numbers. But seriously right now YOU are their very best resource and there's so much they can learn from you,  time enough for school type learning when they get there and they''ll be so much better prepared if you've imparted some of the skills above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

You can incidentally expose them to different aspects that will be helpful when they are ready to learn. Nursery rhymes, reading and discussing books, encouraging them to ask questions and modelling skills such as 'I wonder what might happen /how this person is feeling' etc. Incidentally exploring sounds without actually teaching them the name or sound of the letter.
    Opportunities for fine motor skills around the house, teaching life skills i.e buttons, zips, tidying up, taking care of their belongings.
    Exploring maths concepts in every day situations i.e. when out shopping oh which bunch of bananas feel heavier, this bunch has more, matching socks, sorting cutlery etc.
    If they are forced to learn before they are ready they could possibly end up with a negative attitude towards school or as mentioned will end up bored in school. There are plenty of fun aspects that you can explore with your child where they will learn lots and have a very good base for when they get to school.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It very much depends on what you mean by "teach the alphabet?" Do you mean to sing the song, learn letter names and identify the letter visually, write the letters or do you mean the letter sounds? Can I (as a learning support teacher) ask you don't go much above the song and pointing out the letters in their names.

Year after year , primary teachers (and not just the infant teachers!) end up trying to pen grip, correct letter formation and penmanship as well as the child who has been told for years that the letter c says "cuh." And that's not counting those who have been taught to write in block capital letters.

The two posters above have given you some good ideas. If you speak to any primary teacher in Ireland, anywhere, they will tell you that many children now have both gross and fine motor issues, concentration problems and many no longer have the ability to hold a conversation, make eye contact,share, take social clues and have very low frustration thresholds.

Advertisement