Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking @ Gaelic Grounds

Options
  • 09-06-2018 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Where is the best place to park from 2pm today until about 9ish. Going to the Mayo match in Gaelic Grounds, herself also wants to get a bit of shopping in beforehand.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Jetland on the Ennis Road?

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Just be careful that Jetland aren't clamping. I don't if they do or not, but they usually have some people sending match traffic away when there's a match on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

As someone who shops in jetland, its very annoying for people to fill up the carpark and bugger off to the match.

Worse thing is, I cant blame them at all.

Where the hell are they supposed to park?
    Thomond park has 25600 capacity.
    Gaelic ground has 49,866.

You cant open a bloody shopping centre without having enough parking spaces, so where are they to go?
    Some days from tesco carpark in coonagh, all up the condell road,jetland, ennis road and brookville aveneue will all be filled with cars parked everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

whatever about legit parking knotting up the whole area, I can't abide the parking on grass verges, in cycling lanes on Condell Road, Clonmacken Road, etc. they have parked so close to to my parent's driveway they haven't been able to take their car out on a few occasions (particularly narrow street).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

whatever about legit parking knotting up the whole area, I can't abide the parking on grass verges, in cycling lanes on Condell Road, Clonmacken Road, etc. they have parked so close to to my parent's driveway they haven't been able to take their car out on a few occasions (particularly narrow street).

Parking on cycle lanes/green areas in the height of ignorance.
    If anybody parks on your driveway of blocks your exit making it impossible to take out your car on matchdays, notify the Gardaí and they will have it towed away immediately. Towtrucks are on standby.
    I attend most big games at G.G. and never obstruct any local resident.
    Usually walk out from city centre, its not really that far. Actually an enjoyable walk on matchdays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

phill106 wrote: »
    As someone who shops in jetland, its very annoying for people to fill up the carpark and bugger off to the match.

Worse thing is, I cant blame them at all.

Where the hell are they supposed to park?
    Thomond park has 25600 capacity.
    Gaelic ground has 49,866.

You cant open a bloody shopping centre without having enough parking spaces, so where are they to go?
    Some days from tesco carpark in coonagh, all up the condell road,jetland, ennis road and brookville aveneue will all be filled with cars parked everywhere.

How many car parking spaces do you suggest would be appropriate for a 50,000 capacity stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

KMFCross wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Where is the best place to park from 2pm today until about 9ish. Going to the Mayo match in Gaelic Grounds, herself also wants to get a bit of shopping in beforehand.

Thanks

Did you get sorted OK KMFCross?

zulutango is right, city centre is best bet at only 1 mile walk - grand on a summer's day when your team hammers the local lads! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I have first hand seen the guards telling people to park in a cycle lane during the match 3 or 4 weeks ago in the Gaelic Grounds. They were parked ON THE ROUNDABOUT behind the Jetland making it almost impossible to go around it (its the size of a bloody stamp) and the guards couldnt give any less of a ****e.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I saw a guard by that estate just off the roundabout. Cars as far as you can see parked in the cycle lane, and it didn't seem to be bothering him. I wonder did any cyclists try the condell road that day? Would have been some tailback if they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭pigtown

Is there a reason why the park and ride for Thomond Park doesn't also operate for GAA games? It's always very convenient to get the bus to a game when Munster are playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

MarkR wrote: »
    I saw a guard by that estate just off the roundabout. Cars as far as you can see parked in the cycle lane, and it didn't seem to be bothering him. I wonder did any cyclists try the condell road that day? Would have been some tailback if they did.

I was part of a group of 6 cycling from town on Condel Rd on Sunday. Usually that's the only road in whole city u can have a bit of peace from cars overtaking at a hairs breath. Car parked on the cycle meant we were in the middle of the road. I reckon there were 20 cars behind us from the lights at Salesian's to the Tesco roundabout. Had forgotten was a GAA match on.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Extra points if a marked garda car, or city planner (does that exist) / counciller type person was stuck behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

zulutango wrote: »
    How many car parking spaces do you suggest would be appropriate for a 50,000 capacity stadium?

No idea, I wouldnt be a planner, however i would suggest more then zero.

I see that in Cork they're not allowing parking within 2km of Parc Ui Caoimh. It should really be the same here in Limerick. A 15 to 20 minute walk to and from a match is reasonable. It's either that or a much longer wait sitting in choked traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

zulutango wrote: »
    I see that in Cork they're not allowing parking within 2km of Parc Ui Caoimh. It should really be the same here in Limerick. A 15 to 20 minute walk to and from a match is reasonable. It's either that or a much longer wait sitting in choked traffic.

There are very few sell out matches in limerick, doubt Munster or Limerick gaa would support such an idea as it may affect attendance

I think the Cork GAA are supporting the 2km parking exclusion zone down there. In any case, if the local GAA don't support it, the Council should just insist on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

On match days : Na Piarsaigh are free parking and Caherdavin Celtic are €5 per car, loads of space to park between the 2,

Gardai were ticketing cars on Ennis Road during Mayo game, on grass verges and cycle lanes.

Advertisement