Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake memoirs.

Options
  • 09-06-2018 8:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Reading this list of debunked best selling "memoirs" got me thinking, it's a nice earner for compulsive liar fantasists with an active imagination to come up with a best seller. Some of these listed are still in print. Is it as easy these days in the age of social media for say a plumber from Sheffield to fool millions into thinking he's Chief Squawking Bird of the Hopi Indians?

http://listverse.com/2010/03/06/top-10-infamous-fake-memoirs/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

IBT Bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I would happily buy some fictional memoirs if it stated it was fiction. Finding out after the fact is bad form.

Comparatively the Fargo TV series got me good. It states from the beginning that it's a true story. A quick Google revealed it is fiction. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

There seems to be a big market for misery memoirs in Ireland. Kathy O'Beirne's two books about her supposed incarceration in a Magdalene laundry has been largely debunked. There were question marks as well about some details in Frank McCourts Angelas Ashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

This why I used to like skinny mags.

At least you can blast one off to the pictures.

"Wellness blogger" and fraudster Belle Gibson is coming from a similar place.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/nov/13/behind-belle-gibsons-cancer-con-everything-about-this-story-is-extreme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Good read, OP. Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Reading this list of debunked best selling "memoirs" got me thinking, it's a nice earner for compulsive liar fantasists with an active imagination to come up with a best seller. Some of these listed are still in print. Is it as easy these days in the age of social media for say a plumber from Sheffield to fool millions into thinking he's Chief Squawking Bird of the Hopi Indians?

Why is "Angela's Ashes" by Frank Mc Court not on this list?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I generally dont read junk like this but people do so what can you do

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Lance Armstrong - It's Not About The Bike

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Ahern's autobiography should be on that list too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Thomas_IV

There seems to be a big market for misery memoirs in Ireland. Kathy O'Beirne's two books about her supposed incarceration in a Magdalene laundry has been largely debunked. There were question marks as well about some details in Frank McCourts Angelas Ashes.

Oh yes, I remember that well. Very controversial discussions in the media and time witnesses who knew the family often said that he might have exaggerated it 'a bit'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Hitler diaries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Thomas_IV

Ahern's autobiography should be on that list too.

Never read it. In general speaking I think that one can't expect people writing their own autobiography to tell everything in it. Some details the author of an autobiography omits are rather picked up by other writers who write a biography based on their research.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Just wait until Enda Kenny publishes his.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Maidhc Dainín ó Sé's. Ok so it might not be fake but the stories are shíte, the fact it was on the LC curriculum was a cheap and easy way to make him some cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭valoren

Hermy wrote: »
    Lance Armstrong - It's Not About The Bike

This. It would be alright to an extent if he was a humble, reserved and charity focused cheater. You'd say sure they were all at it and he didn't kill or hurt anyone. Instead he was a certifiable liar and a narcissistic, bullying scumbag who instead killed careers and reputations for the sake of the dollars and for winning bike races.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

branie2 wrote: »
    The Hitler diaries

Lots of war memoirs fall into a spectrum between dramatised and utter BS.

Thomas_IV wrote: »
    Oh yes, I remember that well. Very controversial discussions in the media and time witnesses who knew the family often said that he might have exaggerated it 'a bit'.

A named man who he had down as spying on his sisters undressing turned out to have no sisters.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

valoren wrote: »
    This. It would be alright to an extent if he was a humble, reserved and charity focused cheater. You'd say sure they were all at it and he didn't kill or hurt anyone. Instead he was a certifiable liar and a narcissistic, bullying scumbag who instead killed careers and reputations for the sake of the dollars and for winning bike races.

In fairness though - he wasn't lying - it wasn't about the bike!!:(:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The movie Sleepers was supposed to be based on a true story, ended up it wasn’t.
    Also, Jack the Ripper’s diary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

valoren wrote: »
    Yeah he killed people.

Indirectly, but certainly. He took doping to a new level. People died trying to keep up. People who would otherwise be alive if the doping had stayed at an amateur level.

More on O Beirne and her phoney memoir. You will always get people like this trying to capitalise on the suffering of people who did go through the Magdalene system.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/features/3635834/Mis-lit-Is-this-the-end-for-the-misery-memoir.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Hmm. There seems to be a bit a a theme to what you think shouldn't be considered to be true. Not that I'm inferring anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Numb : The purported memoir of a British War correspondent and Sado Masochistic murdering rapist, allegedly compiled by mysterious writer Louis La Roc from diaries presented to him by the man's widow.

In fact it was a publicity seeking hoax written by Cork based novelist, solicitor and sumo wrestler Colin Carroll. Google him and you get a picture of him in his sumo nappy, it's pretty funny.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Hmm. There seems to be a bit a a theme to what you think shouldn't be considered to be true. Not that I'm inferring anything.

Care to expand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I would happily buy some fictional memoirs if it stated it was fiction. Finding out after the fact is bad form.

Comparatively the Fargo TV series got me good. It states from the beginning that it's a true story. A quick Google revealed it is fiction. :(

Did you not know that would be the case from the film?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Did you not know that would be the case from the film?

I never actually saw the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I never actually saw the film.

Seriously one of the best films ever. In my top ten.

Advertisement