Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schmidt and Bender Polar T96 vs ZEISS HT

Options
  • 09-06-2018 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I'm currently in the market for a dedicated stalking scope. I've sold on my ZEISS Diavari, it was to much scope for what I needed and now I'm looking at either the Schmidt and Bender Polar T96 3-12X54 or the ZEISS HT 3-12X56. Both will have ASV and illuminated recticles. Most my shooting is early morning or evening. I know both theses scopes have great light gathering capabilities. Is there much between these scopes? I can't find any comparison between the two, which one would you go for? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Both are lovely looking scopes. I recently got to use a Conquest V4 6-24x50 with a ZBR reticle, fantastic scope even though I didn't like the reticle. Very clear at any zoom power as you would expect. The scope came with ASV and although I could see the advantage of such a set up I personally didn't see the need for it on a stalking rifle here. I hill shoot myself and have used .243, .270 and 30-06 all set up between the inch / inch & half high at 100 yards. Always found that the point and shoot method out to 250 yards worked well.
    If your shooting way out beyond your MPBR and you want to dial then maybe that's what you'll need but at the moment a Schmidt and Bender 8x56 and a Zeiss 6x42, both with 1 inch tubes are working fine, both in the woods and on the hills. The need to dial in is one more thing to have to think about. If I had a choice I would absolutely have an option of variable zoom, with 3 - 12 being the best followed by 3 - 9, from experience with both zooms I find them a massive advantage over a fixed power scope of '8 power' when in the woods. Several times I've found myself looking over the 8 power scope when an animal was close in.

Not maybe the input your looking for but just my opinion and if it saves you a few euros, then what the heck.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sako75 hunter

Thanks Cookimonster. Your right, first scope I had was a Docter 8X56, super scope and sorry I got rid, needed funds as I left for Canada for a year but main reason I was looking at either of theses scopes is there effectiveness at gathering light at the last few minutes when it counts. The ASV is not a must but the Schmidt and Bender comes with ASV as standard if I'm not mistaken so that's a plus if ever needed. I shoot no more than 4-5 deer every season and want to make this a scope that'll last me for a good few years to come!ðŸ˜

I'm not up on the ASV, but when shooting the Conquest we where putting various grain bullets down range. I could see the advantage, if at all viable, of maybe using it for various grain weights if that rocks your boat. We where shooting 150, 160, 180 grain bullets with only a deviation in vertical POI.

With ASV aside the main thing I'm after in the scope would be Best low light gathering, the ASV is a sweetener but not vital. On paper The T96 has 96% and the HT has 95%, is that 1% difference even noticble to the human eye or is it just marketing hype.

I think you'll not really be able to tell the difference when your at that quality. With out telling you how to suck eggs, but keep your mag on the southern side of 8 power and you'll get the most value from your glass at those low light times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I would buy an s&b over zeiss any day of the week.
    In fact i would never buy a zeiss. I have sent too many of them back to the factory due to bad quality control.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Given the choice I would go with the S&B. Been using them a long time excellent quality.

juice1304 wrote: »
    I would buy an s&b over zeiss any day of the week.
    In fact i would never buy a zeiss. I have sent too many of them back to the factory due to bad quality control.

I've never had any dealings with ZEISS quality control but any of the guys that I know are shooting with Schmidt and Bender scopes are shooting them for years and none have ever had any problems. Thanks again lads, thinks I'll be going S&B

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

For me, most faith in S&B. Recently shot a paper target at 410m, we could not see bullet holes with a Kahles 624i which is supposed to have Swaro glass.... but we could see the holes with a 3-20 Ultra short pmII , where many say the short scopes are not as good.
    edi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I was reading somewhere that zeiss uses lenses imported from the far east. The old zeiss scopes were very good, but any i have seen in the past few years looked cheap and did not impress.

Schmidt and bender on the other hand i have always found to be excellent, used a fixed 8x56 s&b for years and it was faultless. Others ? Leica are very good, but very expensive, swarovski are said to have the best lenses, but are not as robust as s&b supposidly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Zeiss, S&B, IOR, Steiner doctor, Swaro, Minox etc.. all use Schott glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

I have no doubt. The way things are now most companies buy off the one supplier but i do know there is different qualities coming off production lines its down to how much your willing to pay.
    Like gas boilers there are 2 makes made in the one factory one is good and reliable the other youd be lucky to get it to run half way right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

I currently use a Zeiss Ht and have previously used a PM11. I dont know what the new S+B is like but I am very happy with my HT's performance at both dawn and dusk. Don't think you'll go too far wrong with either to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I was just about to start a new thread when I came across this one.

Anyone get to compare them side by side?

Lakelands says the zeiss HT has a built in laser range finder.
    http://lakelandsportssupplies.ie/shooting/Rifle-Scopes/Zeiss-Victory-HT
    x----T--120-9-685.html

Haven't seen it written anywhere else.

Hey Garv, I think the HT and the comments in the paragraph below the picture on the link are wrong! As far as I know the HT comes wit BDC but not a built in rangefinder! ZEISS have the diarange series of scopes that have built in rangefinder but I'm almost 100% sure that the HT does not.

I actually took a "U" turn and after comparing the HT, S&B and Swarovski Z8i, I went with the Swarovski, got the BTF and have to say it's a super scope! Probably the most expensive out of the lot but don't regret it one bit! I looked up everything from Service, build quality, warranty etc and to me the Swarovski came out on top!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I actually took a "U" turn and after comparing the HT, S&B and Swarovski Z8i, I went with the Swarovski, got the BTF and have to say it's a super scope! Probably the most expensive out of the lot but don't regret it one bit! I looked up everything from Service, build quality, warranty etc and to me the Swarovski came out on top!

I'd love the z8i, but the dog house is already full! :pac::pac:

Planning ahead for next season is all im doing at the minute anyways.

Have a swarovski habicht, at the minute, wanting something with a red dot for last light, very hard to see a cross hair against a black background when the light is almost gone. can see perfectly if something is out with grass behind them.

I have the 2.3-18X56 with the 4AI recticle, great for low light, I sold my ZEISS victory diavari to help fund for the Swarovski, super scope too but rapid z rec which was way to "busy" especially when using the illumination it lit up like a xmas tree and weighed a bit too much! Anyways if you can look through as many scopes as you can before you decide!

Advertisement