Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing kitchen ceiling light- HELP!!! too many wires

Options
  • 08-06-2018 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi all, be patient with me as single mama with 3 furbabies here- hyperactive ... decided to replace my old kitchen ceiling light as wasnt working, took the old one off, filled holes, painted it, perfect job, that was yesterday ... today drill wouldnt start so ended up making pretty big hole in ceiling- never mind most important is to get this light up as pitch black in kitchen!

I tried- failed! lost light in bathroom as well now ... so theres just too many wires and not enough holes in the light unit-

the unit has 3 holes- live, neutral and earth ...
    I have 5 cables hanging off ceiling! - 3 brown which I would pronounce as live, 1 blue which I would guess neutral and 1 green/ yellow which should be earth (this earth cable wasnt connected to the previous old light unit but found it hanging there) so the question is how do I fit 3 brown - live cables in the 1 hole for the live cable in the unit? Am I missing anything? lost please help thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

When the switch that controls that light is activated, how many lights come on ?

Unless there is more than one light fitting controlled from that switch then it's very odd to have more Browns (Live) than Blues (Neutral).

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

ZENER wrote: »
    When the switch that controls that light is activated, how many lights come on ?

Unless there is more than one light fitting controlled from that switch then it's very odd to have more Browns (Live) than Blues (Neutral).

Ken
    It's completely normal with a three-plate system to have more phase conductors than neutral conductors. There will be both permanent phase and switched phase. Really though if you're not sure what you're doing then ring an Electrician. It's the only safe advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭BudEliJackson

ZENER wrote: »

Ken

Hi! when I hit that switch, jist that one light in kitchen comes on - well used to (not after I went digging in it) , I was just thinking- 1 wire switch, 1 wire into that light and the wire coming out of it for another light in the same room? - there is another light in the same room which stopped working since I took old kitchen light off... but I cannot see how the wires can fit all in that tiny hole in the unit :( thanks for help!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

While I sympathise with your situation, the fact that you say "lost light in bathroom as well now" means you have disconnected something in the original ceiling rose without knowing how to put it back.

For the sake of your kids, get a competent electrician to fix it.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It's completely normal with a three-plate system to have more phase conductors than neutral conductors. There will be both permanent phase and switched phase. Really though if you're not sure what you're doing then ring an Electrician. It's the only safe advice.

Thanks, my electrician moved away haha so thought this would be a small and easy job ... I just cant see how 3 wires fit in that tiny hole ...

• Advertisement

Steve wrote: »
    While I sympathise with your situation, the fact that you say "lost light in bathroom as well now" means you have disconnected something in the original ceiling rose without knowing how to put it back.

For the sake of your kids, get a competent electrician to fix it.

Thanks ... kids are safe in bed snoring but I see where you coming from (I believe the fuse went when I switched it on that is why bathroom light is gone)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thanks, my electrician moved away haha so thought this would be a small and easy job ... I just cant see how 3 wires fit in that tiny hole ...

I't entirely possible that the 3 wires don't actually go in the same terminal... Unless you know what they do or took a photo before you disconnected them then nobody can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,482 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There is no help you can get here now as you disconnected the light without taking note of the setup, an easy mistake but a crucial mistake.

Please follow the advice above and call a spark out to get it running safely.

I't entirely possible that the 3 wires don't actually go in the same terminal... Unless you know what they do or took a photo before you disconnected them then nobody can say.

I didnt take a picture :(

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Ak84

As an electrician I would advise you to call an electrician. The colours are not always wired the way you think. They should be , but in this case, and for safety , you need someone who knows how to figure it out.

• Advertisement

Poor you I can understand the frustration but you’ll need someone to now determine the difference in the browns so they can be reattached correctly.
    Some will be permanently live while some part of the switch circuit.

Thanks ... kids are safe in bed snoring but I see where you coming from (I believe the fuse went when I switched it on that is why bathroom light is gone)

I'm not even going to offer a guess as to why that happened, really, you need an electrician to trace the wires and figure out what is on the far end of them.

Glad the kids are safe, keep them that way :)

_Brian wrote: »
    Poor you I can understand the frustration but you’ll need someone to now determine the difference in the browns so they can be reattached correctly.
    Some will be permanently live while some part of the switch circuit.

Thanks, well, learned a lesson anyways, any electrician here close to Dublin 5 / Raheny that has time tomorrow ? haha

I'm not even going to offer a guess as to why that happened, really, you need an electrician to trace the wires and figure out what is on the far end of them.

Glad the kids are safe, keep them that way :)

Thanks, kids have 4 legs and fluffy tails and I 'll do anything for them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

The colours can be totally meaningless, especially in older installations. The only way someone can be sure is to test each wire.

Sorry, but, with all due respect, I would have to agree, you're out of your depth and should call an electrician.

Thanks, kids have 4 legs and fluffy tails and I 'll do anything for them :)

They’re not kids so unless they’re goats.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    The colours can be totally meaningless, especially in older installations. The only way someone can be sure is to test each wire.

Sorry, but, with all due respect, I would have to agree, you're out of your depth and should call an electrician.

Thanks, I think we all agreed on that , sadly

_Brian wrote: »
    They’re not kids so unless they’re goats.

My babies :)

My babies :)

Pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Sounds like who ever wired this put the switch on the neutral wire or got the colour wires mixed up. Hopefully the 3 together are not live.

• Advertisement

mickuhaha wrote: »
    Sounds like who ever wired this put the switch on the neutral wire or got the colour wires mixed up. Hopefully the 3 together are not live.

That's not what I got from the description. If you don't fully understand then maybe you shouldn't comment. No offence intended, just don't want someone getting misleading information. :)

That's not what I got from the description. If you don't fully understand then maybe you shouldn't comment. No offence intended, just don't want someone getting misleading information. :)

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I picked it up Wong too but disconnected one light with 4 wires, in use 3 brown and one blue, one light switch. Now a light in the bathroom is not working. So either the trip switch for the circuit went killing two parallel circuits or the 3 brown are live and are now not touching to complete the bathroom circuit or they are neutral and the blue is the live.if there was more than one switch I would not have said it but it's more common then people think that lights get wired up incorrectly. I'm not saying it happened here just to be careful.

It's one reason why I think the present-day French approach is far more logical. They do all the wiring in a ceiling rose that sits completely flat on the ceiling. There's a small recessed socket on the front of it and you can fix any light fitting over it. It's very compact and completely flat, so it fits right behind any type of luminary you can think of, and can also mount many of them to a built in hook.

So, for DIY, all you have to do is be able to wire a plug. It just presents you with two pins for live and neutral and an earth.

It just seems like a. much more logical and safe approach, as most people will try to wire lights themselves and also most fancier fittings are not really capable of being used as junction boxes. You regularly see multiple, fairly heavy gauge wires rammed into tiny connectors on the back of fittings here, that were clearly only designed for 1 wire.

The French standards is relatively new, it became mandatory in the 2001 version of NF C15-100 which is the equivalent of our ET101

Called a Dispositif de connexion luminaire (DCL)

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dispositif_de_connexion_luminaire

Explains it (In French)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDjUXuZFIdo

The little ceiling fitting is a bit like an RJ45 or RJ11 phone jack, it locks into place similarly with a latch and there's a hook on the exterior (which you can replace with a flat screw quite easily if you don't need it).

You can hang a lamp of several KG from the - hook, which covers most installations of pendants or chandeliers.

Simple pendants can hang directly from the plug, as it's capable of holding quite a bit of weight (at least as much as Irish - ceiling rose).

They also come with a simple plug in lamp holder in BC or ES format so you can just plug in a basic lamp if you're doing construction / using them in a shed or whatever you don't want a fancy lamp.

I think it's something we should adopt. There's no particular reason why it wouldn't work here too.

You can also install them in the wall for side lights and have completely DIY friendly changeable fittings or, you can use them as fixed point switchable / dimmable lamp sockets, much like we use the old BS 546 round pin plugs.

I just think it's a brilliant idea as it means you can have all the complex rose wiring in the fitting, totally independent of the luminary and away from any DIY projects.

Not only that, but they're installed with a simple circular cut into the ceiling with a specific drill bit, a round box goes in et voila .. neat installation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN_PjHix6M8

Same with their sockets and switches these days. Everything goes into a round box drilled with a special bit, so you don't have to cut boxes, even if the sockets / switches are square. Doubles, triples etc, just use multiple circular holes. You just mark the wall with a template, insert drill and off you go.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    It's one reason why I think the present-day French approach is far more logical. They do all the wiring in a ceiling rose that sits completely flat on the ceiling. There's a small recessed socket on the front of it and you can fix any light fitting over it. It's very compact and completely flat, so it fits right behind any type of luminary you can think of, and can also mount many of them to a built in hook.

So, for DIY, all you have to do is be able to wire a plug. It just presents you with two pins for live and neutral and an earth.

It just seems like a. much more logical and safe approach, as most people will try to wire lights themselves and also most fancier fittings are not really capable of being used as junction boxes. You regularly see multiple, fairly heavy gauge wires rammed into tiny connectors on the back of fittings here, that were clearly only designed for 1 wire.

The French standards is relatively new, it became mandatory in the 2001 version of NF C15-100 which is the equivalent of our ET101

Called a Dispositif de connexion luminaire (DCL)

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dispositif_de_connexion_luminaire

Explains it (In French)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDjUXuZFIdo

The little ceiling fitting is a bit like an RJ45 or RJ11 phone jack, it locks into place similarly with a latch and there's a hook on the exterior (which you can replace with a flat screw quite easily if you don't need it).

You can hang a lamp of several KG from the - hook, which covers most installations of pendants or chandeliers.

Simple pendants can hang directly from the plug, as it's capable of holding quite a bit of weight (at least as much as Irish - ceiling rose).

They also come with a simple plug in lamp holder in BC or ES format so you can just plug in a basic lamp if you're doing construction / using them in a shed or whatever you don't want a fancy lamp.

I think it's something we should adopt. There's no particular reason why it wouldn't work here too.

You can also install them in the wall for side lights and have completely DIY friendly changeable fittings or, you can use them as fixed point switchable / dimmable lamp sockets, much like we use the old BS 546 round pin plugs.

I just think it's a brilliant idea as it means you can have all the complex rose wiring in the fitting, totally independent of the luminary and away from any DIY projects.

Not only that, but they're installed with a simple circular cut into the ceiling with a specific drill bit, a round box goes in et voila .. neat installation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN_PjHix6M8

Same with their sockets and switches these days. Everything goes into a round box drilled with a special bit, so you don't have to cut boxes, even if the sockets / switches are square. Doubles, triples etc, just use multiple circular holes. You just mark the wall with a template, insert drill and off you go.

this sounds savage but im still without light in here lol

Can you post some pictures

mickuhaha wrote: »
    Can you post some pictures

thanks, here it is

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bud

It's not possible to offer help from that image

The lads need to see the colour of the cables

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Stoner wrote:
    It's not possible to offer help from that image

Stoner wrote:
    The lads need to see the colour of the cables

In fairness the photo was taken at 1am by the looks of it and there's no light in the kitchen. Oh the irony :)

There's nothing you can tell by looking at the wires. You need an electrical to actually check what's connected to what. Even if you could see the colours in that photo, they don't signify anything in particular.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    In fairness the photo was taken at 1am by the looks of it and there's no light in the kitchen. Oh the irony :)

haha true attaching picture during this lovely sunny day!

Advertisement