Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a usb port?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

That's something like I use, nice and easy to fit. Only thing I would say is to make sure it's long enough to position it where ever you want, I'm stuck with mine close to my footpeg.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks, I'm just going to connect a usb cable and run it up to the bars where the mount will be so hopefully will be fine. I'll just bring some zip ties and tape. It has an SAE Connector also so handy for trickle charger etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭sleepysniper

I also had something similar to keep the phone charged while using Google maps touring Europe. Very very handy when traveling in unfamiliar territory! Just connects straight to the battery.

What are you getting out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Stiletto72

Zascar wrote: »
    Buying a new bike in in Scotland, taking in a few roads and want USB for charging my phone which I'll use for satnav. What's the easiest way I can do quickly - would this do the job? https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOTOPOWER-MP0609A-Waterproof-Motorcycle-motorcycle/dp/B01DT7LI56/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528486909&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+battery+usb

I have something like this fitted. No problems with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Stiletto72 wrote: »
    I have something like this fitted. No problems with it so far.

I'd be going with this and fitting it to a switched circuit with a big fuse, no chance of killing the battery if you leave something connected. I wired into my rear brake light circuit when I fitted one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I was lucky with the last bike I bought, it has a charging socket under the seat.

There are a few options to retro fit charge points.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Would a 12v port not be more versatile, for heated gear and the like too?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

thos wrote: »
    Would a 12v port not be more versatile, for heated gear and the like too?

Heated gear generally doesn't come with a 12v port so no. Most of it comes with proprietary connection and a battery terminal.

I have my usb wired to. Switched relay so comes on with ignition.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So my new bike actually has an in built charging port so I bought this for it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AU0OA9C/

However like Stiletto said above you can get more simple ones that wire into the headlight so I might do that later, but for now the above will do the job fine.

I bought this phone holder - have not fitted it but its looks great so far.

So my new bike actually has an in built charging port so I bought this for it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AU0OA9C/

My bike came with a 12V socket and I bought them. Then I looked and it was a standard 12V socket and I'd loads of adapters for those :mad:

• Advertisement

What bike?

What bike?

KTM 990 SMT

Lovely, I nearly bought one a while back - they are savage.

Advertisement