Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the Medical Card entitle you to?

Options
  • 08-06-2018 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Basically I have an irrational phobia of dentists which I've never addressed. My last visit being 2001.

Following years of decadent nocturnal activities, drinking, smoking and coffee, they've gone to ****. They're chipped, discoloured, recently front tooth fell out.

I'm so embarrassed but I'm ready to face up to my fears.

I have a medical card (no idea why they keep posting them out to me, I've been working and paying taxes for 15 years).

Will the medical card give me a new mouth?

I'm guessing I'll need implants.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

A check up, 2 fillings per year and as many extractions as you need. You are having a laugh if you expect the taxpayer to pay for implants. 🀑

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

davo10 wrote: »
    A check up, 2 fillings per year and as many extractions as you need. You are having a laugh if you expect the taxpayer to pay for implants. ��

See I'm completely uneducated on how implants work. Are they expensive? How are they fitted? Are they permanent?

I won't need extractions as I have no back teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

See I'm completely uneducated on how implants work. Are they expensive? How are they fitted? Are they permanent?

I won't need extractions as I have no back teeth

They are definite but not permanent. Everything fails eventually. If you look after them a figure I hear a lot is 10-15 years.

Essentially drilled into your jaw bone. Left to heal for a period of time usually and then a crown or bridge/fake teeth are placed onto the implant.

Probably the most expensive option for restoring missing teeth. However a very good option in the right scenario.

They are definite but not permanent. Everything fails eventually. If you look after them a figure I hear a lot is 10-15 years.

Interesting, In all the years we have been placing implants, I did not know that they are bound to fail eventually, we must be very lucky indeed or our patients are blessed with good bone.

I think you should do a little more research on this.

Interesting, In all the years we have been placing implants, I did not know that they are bound to fail eventually, we must be very lucky indeed or our patients are blessed with good bone.

I think you should do a little more research on this.

How much are we talking for implants?

• Advertisement

How much are we talking for implants?

You can pay anywhere between 1500 and 3000 for an implant depending on type of implant and expertise of the surgeon.

You can pay anywhere between 1500 and 3000 for an implant depending on type of implant and expertise of the surgeon.

Jesus Christ

Is that an individual one?

I haven't got that sort of money. And I'm sick of walking around looking like a smashed in headstone.

What are my options?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

Unfortunately the medical card does not cover that much and treatment is very expensive
    Maybe book an appointment with a dentist and see what options they can give you

shelly22 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the medical card does not cover that much and treatment is very expensive
    Maybe book an appointment with a dentist and see what options they can give you

My self confidence is at rock bottom. I need to do something. I should not have let it come to this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I haven't got that sort of money. And I'm sick of walking around looking like a smashed in headstone.

Hi. My dad lost all of his upper teeth during radiation team treatment and also had a massive fear of dentists from when he was a child. We went to a Smiles clinic years after they fell out. He was quoted around 15 grand for extractions, implants, bridges etc. We didn't have that kind of money so instead they extracted the remaining stubs of teeth and fitted him for upper dentures. This cost about 5 grand. It took him a while to get used to them but now he barely notices them! He had a medical card too but that didn't cover anything as it was cosmetic. A lot of these places do free consultations so it would be worth going in and letting them to give you a quote, then try another place and compare quotes, as some places might have radically different ideas depending on your budget. They also do payment plans if you can't get the money up front. Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ

Is that an individual one?

What are my options?

Yip, per tooth. If you find out info on implants you will see that it is a complicated surgical and cosmetic treatment which takes approximately 4 months, multiple visits and laboratory fees for the fabrication of a connecting abutment and ceramic crown to fit.

When your teeth are broken, the options are:

• Fix them by having them filled.
    • Place ceramic crowns on them to improve appearance.
    • Have the ones that cannot be repaired removed and then replace with a removable denture.

Your Med Card will cover 2 fillings per year, it also covers the extraction of teeth, and possibly the cost of the denture if the local HSE principal approves it. Everything you have to pay the private fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

Yip, per tooth. If you find out info on implants you will see that it is a complicated surgical and cosmetic treatment which takes approximately 4 months, multiple visits and laboratory fees for the fabrication of a connecting abutment and ceramic crown to fit.

When your teeth are broken, the options are:

• Fix them by having them filled.
    • Place ceramic crowns on them to improve appearance.
    • Have the ones that cannot be repaired removed and then replace with a removable denture.

Your Med Card will cover 2 fillings per year, it also covers the extraction of teeth, and possibly the cost of the denture if the local HSE principal approves it. Everything you have to pay the private fee.

That's per tooth in rip off Ireland

Mikenesson wrote: »
    That's per tooth in rip off Ireland

The price range I quoted includes clinics in Northern Ireland, just so the op got a idea of costs in both countries. And yes, there are clinics in the North where an implant costs up to €3k and Clinics in the South where they cost €1500.

If you feel you are being ripped off, treatment abroad is ideal for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭damianch

rawn wrote: »
    Hi. My dad lost all of his upper teeth during radiation team treatment and also had a massive fear of dentists from when he was a child. We went to a Smiles clinic years after they fell out. He was quoted around 15 grand for extractions, implants, bridges etc. We didn't have that kind of money so instead they extracted the remaining stubs of teeth and fitted him for upper dentures. This cost about 5 grand. It took him a while to get used to them but now he barely notices them! He had a medical card too but that didn't cover anything as it was cosmetic. A lot of these places do free consultations so it would be worth going in and letting them to give you a quote, then try another place and compare quotes, as some places might have radically different ideas depending on your budget. They also do payment plans if you can't get the money up front. Best of luck!

Oh my god ! I am so sorry to hear about this. I always thought if you needed your teeth replaced (as in on a whole denture) that it would be covered. Thats shocking.

I hope your Dad is doing well now!

Advertisement