Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reliable Replaceable immersion switch

Options
  • 08-06-2018 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Grr. I have to replace immersion (Timeguard NTT03 24-Hour/7-Day Compact Electronic) switch again.. Its lasted about 6 months

Previous to that it was about every two years for a 24 hour mechanical segment timer.

My local electrical dealer always has a different type - meaning a slight rewire every time..

Can I get timer box with plug in module where I can just replace the timer without rewiring a box every time.

I think I have seen these before, - the front place flips off for ease of adjustment and has a number of pins at the back - so if the timer fails its a quick replacement of the module..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'd genuinely be concerned as to why they only last six months?

They all come with a 12 months warranty. I'd suggest getting the installer back to replace for free.

Next I'd be wondering about the quality & safety of the installation.

What is going wrong with them?

Can you post a photo of the back of it. I'd be very interested in seeing if there's evidence of it burning out

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sleeper12 wrote:
    What is going wrong with them?

Good point

What environment are they in ?
    Eg
    Are the timers inside a hot press covered in towels.

Is it too hot there

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭G-Man

The timers are inside the front door beside fuse box on a spur from its own circuit breaker. Its beside a big single glassed window - so cant imagine its overheating..

Most recent is 6 months
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BJIB97K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Others have been two years - the APT type
    http://www.electricpoint.com/heating/water-heating/water-heating-controls/erl-apt-imm24-immersion-heater-timer-16amp-24-hour-imm24-apt.html

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

G-Man wrote: »
    The timers are inside the front door beside fuse box on a spur from its own circuit breaker. Its beside a big single glassed window - so cant imagine its overheating..

Most recent is 6 months
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BJIB97K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Others have been two years - the APT type
    http://www.electricpoint.com/heating/water-heating/water-heating-controls/erl-apt-imm24-immersion-heater-timer-16amp-24-hour-imm24-apt.html

Before fitting a new switch I would get an electrician to check how much current the immersion is drawing on full load. Sounds like it might be drawing more current than the immersion switches are rated for. It's not a good idea to keep replacing the switches until you get to the root of the problem. Immersion switches can last for years or even decades under normal conditions so to have them burn out regularly shows there is something else wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I had the same issue with my own immersion. I was going through a switch in less than 12 month. There was no visible signs of burning or damage. No loose wires. I eventually bought a MK switch and I've never looked back since.

I always find the bog standard pullcord switches, cooker switches or immersion switches handed out in most electrical wholesalers are not suitable for their rated load. Spending a little more on MK or Hager is a better job imo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think the title of the thread is a bit misleading. The OP is talking about an immersion timer not simply a switch. I found the APT timers to be very poor quality.

A solution that served me well was to get a nice digital boiler timer (generally rated to switch about 3A) and get it to a contractor rated for a 25A load. This pretty much guarantees long term reliability.

Advertisement