Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Soon?

Options
  • 08-06-2018 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

So I finished up my final ever exams of a degree a couple of weeks ago (praise be!!). However my degree is part time and the final year is stretched over 3 semester, with the final semester solely for completing the final year project, i.e. no classes etc. I don't officially finish until Dec/Jan.

Would I be wasting my time applying for junior roles now? Having not competed my FYP my "portfolio"/github is quite bare. I'd be looking at Java roles as its what I'm most familiar with though would take anything that's current.

Though perhaps my non-dev experience might give me a leg up somehow, mid 30's in middle management, using SQL extensively for 5+ years??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JigglyMcJabs

Pelvis wrote: »
    So I finished up my final ever exams of a degree a couple of weeks ago (praise be!!). However my degree is part time and the final year is stretched over 3 semester, with the final semester solely for completing the final year project, i.e. no classes etc. I don't officially finish until Dec/Jan.

Would I be wasting my time applying for junior roles now? Having not competed my FYP my "portfolio"/github is quite bare. I'd be looking at Java roles as its what I'm most familiar with though would take anything that's current.

Though perhaps my non-dev experience might give me a leg up somehow, mid 30's in middle management, using SQL extensively for 5+ years??

You wouldn't be wasting your time no, if you can get through a technical test at interview, I think most places would consider you, particularly since you have the additional soft skills.
    A note of caution though, I did the same thing and ended up really struggling with the project, because I was focussed so much on thenew job, so much bloody paperwork to submit in a college project! It knocked my grade down substantially, not that it matters too much once you're in the door somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Thanks! Did you do yours part time too? It did occur to me that it could have an impact on project work, but thought having no more classes, assignments and study taking up my time would make up for it.

Have no idea if I'd get through a technical test but signed up for a Udemy course ages ago that goes through java interview questions, might be time to give that a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Just remember that the piece of paper is worth cash - without it you could be down a few K in salary which could compound over a few years. So don't slack off on the project whatever you do.

Advertisement