Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthony Bourdain has died

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭weisses

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I used to watch his show sometimes. Oh well…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

As someone who recently had to have that awkward chat with my GP about dark thoughts and anxiety I'd highly recommend that people do the same.

Suicide seems like a cancer at the moment - it affects people in every walk of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭Homer

AH possibly not the best place for this thread but he was a gifted storyteller and there aren't too many of them left in this day and age of kardashians et al :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Very shocked to hear this. I was a massive fan of his, his novels and autobiographies since I got a copy of Kitchen Confidential when I was 13 years old. One of the great writers and storytellers of our age, a tragic loss. A Cooks Tour is one of the greatest books about food and eating you will ever read.

Another male suicide, in what seems like a pandemic that shows no signs of receding.

Damn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

mad muffin wrote: »
    I used to watch his show sometimes. Oh well…

That's a beautiful eulogy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

brevity wrote: »
    As someone who recently had to have that awkward chat with my GP about dark thoughts and anxiety I'd highly recommend that people do the same.

Suicide seems like a cancer at the moment - it affects people in every walk of life.

Well said. Been there, done that myself. It does get better, sometimes comes back, but always improves by talking to someone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

"Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride." Hope you enjoyed the ride Mr Bourdain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Poor guy. Loved his shows. Seemed like a thoroughly decent sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Have read alot of his books, seen his tv shows and always wanted to meet the fella. Was an absolute legend in our cheffing game, Knew his food and seemed to enjoy the little things around him, a great storyteller.
    Really **** news to hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tico1300

RIP Chef
    He will be greatly missed

Ahh :( Sad news about Anthony. May he rest in peace.

Like Brevity posted above it's so important to get help if you feel low. Over the last few days I've experienced my worst dip in a good few years. I lay in bed on Saturday and felt unbelievably tired of life and very sad, so much so that I wanted it all to go away. Thankfully my friend rang me and she helped enormously.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ahh :( Sad news about Anthony. May he rest in peace.

Like Brevity posted above it's so important to get help if you feel low. Over the last few days I've experienced my worst dip in a good few years. I lay in bed on Saturday and felt unbelievably tired of life and very sad, so much so that I wanted it all to go away. Thankfully my friend rang me and she helped enormously.

All we can do often is know that "this too shall pass" and hang on in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The only celeb I ever fancied, could not get how someone could fancy someone they never me,t but there was something about him.

I really liked his shows, he was a natural on tv. He had an ever-so-slightly louche quality about him that was rather attractive.

The poor guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭gifted

I liked him......sad to see he passed away.......talk people talk...people will.listen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

weisses wrote: »
    R.I.P
    Not his style. :)

Surprised how down I am today with this news, I think his show used to stick with me more than I have it credit for. He had an extraordinary ability to see the humanity and good in others, just through engaging with them on their own terms. It became a lot more than a show about food or travel. It was a show about empathy, without being wanky about it. The West Virginia and Hong Kong episodes of the current season were masterpieces. I haven't cared as much about a celebrity death since Hunter Thompson (whose influence is there in the writing and the show, which is only rarely a good thing but it was with Bourdain.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

jiltloop wrote: »

452883.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Shocked at that. Loved the No Reservations series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

jiltloop wrote: »

I’m considering commissioning mad muffin to speak at my funeral. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭ooter

Never heard of the guy till a couple of years ago and he was mentioned as a famous chef who does BJJ so his name stuck in my mind. A while later I was flicking through Netflix and I seen he had a programme called the layover on it and one of them was Dublin, watched that and thought he came across as a really sound guy, someone you'd love to sit down and have a pint or 2 with.
    Shocked to hear of his passing today, may he RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Genuinely saddened by this. He was a stand up bloke who had a low threshold for bullsh*t. His television work went beyond the bland local cliches and served up an engaging outside the box memoir of the places he visited.

He has had his struggles in the past but he genuinely seemed to be in a good place recently with his new relationship. That makes this all the more heartbreaking.

RIP Tony.

For anyone interested this is one of the most definitive profiles of him in recent times.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/13/anthony-bourdains-moveable-feast?intcid=inline_amp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Subtitles provided for the NI Taxi Driver tour guide :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Love his shows. Especially the episode on the perfect steak.

"Take it out of the pan and let it rest for a minute. Don't cut it, don't slice it, don't serve it.

Leave it the fook alone."

Rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

Aidric wrote: »
    Genuinely saddened by this. He was a stand up bloke who had a low threshold for bullsh*t. His television work went beyond the bland local cliches and served up an engaging outside the box memoir of the places he visited.

He has had his struggles in the past but he genuinely seemed to be in a good place recently with his new relationship. That makes this all the more heartbreaking.

RIP Tony.

For anyone interested this is one of the most definitive profiles of him in recent times.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/13/anthony-bourdains-moveable-feast?intcid=inline_amp

What a great article , thanks for sharing , loved his programs ,general personality and outlook on life .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Never really watched any of his stuff because it's not really my thing, but I really liked his cameo in The Big Short (class film) describing the financial crisis in simple terms:

(skip to 5:00)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Introduced a few to the layover when we were all holed up for Ophelia.

Was saddened more at this news than any other celebrity death for some reason- always wanted to meet him

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

RIP

and if anyone has time to read another interesting article ... http://observer.com/2018/06/anthony-bourdain-suicide-and-grace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

Loved his books and shows. Was very shocked by the news and incredibly saddened. I know he had his demons, but I think in between those episodes, he enjoyed his life and squeezed every once out of it that he could.
    R.I.P. Chef.

Advertisement