Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator pipe going through floor ref tiling

Options
  • 08-06-2018 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

When i installed the radiators into my upstairs extension bathroom 20 years ago, I drilled the floor fairly tight for the qualplex pipe to come through to make it look tidy.
    Now i want to tile the wooden floor using 5.6mm plywood screwed every 6" inch with 30cm x 30cm tiles.
    My fear is that the floorboards and in turn the plywood will expand/contract when the heating is on and though i will be using flexible adhesive that the grout lines will crack over time. The area is 9FT X 6FT.
    What do ye recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

leave plenty room and get a wooden or PVC collar to cover the gap: the pvc ones are too small for qplex so maybe get a pal to make one up in timber

google radiator sleeve, look at images

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭kmb

Hi Calahonda52,

Thanks for replying
    Just to confirm are you saying that there could be a issue in the future with heat expansion?It is a bit tricky widening a already piped hole unless i drill a larger hole next to it and the moving the existing qualplex temporarily/ redrilling the older hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

kmb wrote: »
    Hi Calahonda52,

Thanks for replying
    Just to confirm are you saying that there could be a issue in the future with heat expansion?It is a bit tricky widening a already piped hole unless i drill a larger hole next to it and the moving the existing qualplex temporarily/ redrilling the older hole.

I done what you are planning in 2 upstairs bathrooms many years ago (qualpex in one, copper in the other). Tightly grouted. Zero issue with floor grout cracking or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Anying to be said for colour matched silicone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

You should use tile backer board instead of the plywood, ply nowadays is poor quality and will probably lead to grout lines cracking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

kmb wrote: »
    Hi Calahonda52,

Thanks for replying

no, just leave a bigger hole for the ply and tiles, leave what is there as is

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

I think He's talking about the hole he drilled when he first installed the rads.
    He's saying the hiole was only big enough for the pipe to pass through and hes worried that this part of the timber, in particular will expand and cause problems.

OP: as above, it wont be an issue.
    +1 on using the Tile backing board. Its made for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭kmb

Thanks all for the advise, it is much appreciated.
    Tile backer board will be got to save future problems.

Kind Regards,

Kieran

Advertisement