Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing leaking pipe

Options
  • 07-06-2018 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Hi, I had a hole in half inch pvc pipe at back of house.I cut away the damaged pipe and fitted on a plastic connector.Water is still leaking.What am I doing wrong?Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

You may be using the wrong type connector. Bring the piece you cut out to a hardware shop and they should be able to sort you out with the right connector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Did you use glue? Or did the fitting have a rubber washer in it? If so did you file the pipe and use lubricant?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭miketheDIYman

You usually have to insert a reinforcer ( copper or Plastic ) into each length of plastic pipe before tightening the compression joint for a tight join ! (If you were using copper 1/2 inch pipe this would not be required)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Squatman

Did you cut the wrong section of pipe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Did you use glue? Or did the fitting have a rubber washer in it? If so did you file the pipe and use lubricant?

Sorry I read that as pvc pipe the fact it was outside probably tricked my brain.

You need inserts, you need to know what fittings you used. Tectite maybe? If the pipe is scratched tectite will leak. If the pipes not pushed home all the way it will leak. Try twisting the fitting then pushing it again. If it won’t twist turn off the water take the fitting off by pushing the edge of a shifters against the green flap on the fitting. Inspect the pipe and repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Some photos of the pipe and fittings wo help if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭fire_man

I never got inserts. I think that's the issue.Thought hardware would give them with connector.

Advertisement