Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oiling kitchen worktop.

Options
  • 07-06-2018 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Since we bought our house the worktop (natural wood) has been sticky/tacky so believe the previous owners may have re-oiled before selling and did a poor job of it. We're planning on sanding the whole thing back and re-oiling from scratch. Danish Oil seems to be the best option but from a bit of reading up I've seen people saying to get the 'food safe' danish oil. I can't find any of that in town! Just the normal interior/exterior oils.

Do people use the normal danish oil on worktops? I've seen Ronseal Worktop Oil which is food safe but from reviews quite a few say it doesnt last long and needs reapplying often.

Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Rustins Danish oil is food safe, thin down the first few coats with 30% white spirit, be sure to dry any surplus off the worktop or it will become sticky again, burn any rags you use or else lay them flat to dry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Cheers for the info.

Rustins was the only food safe one I could see. I'll need to order online as no where around here seems to stock it. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I got the rustins food safe oil a few years back and it seems to have a strange reaction to either wet metals, or oil where it turns black. If I left a new Stanley blade on the worktop, it would leave a mark the exact shape of the blade a few hours later. Have had it happen with other objects too. Very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Ak84

Food grade Mineral oil and beeswax is what I use on my iroko worktop. Brings out beautiful colour on it.
    I buy online.
    You should be able to find instructions online for how to use it.
    The mineral oil is completely safe. Funny considering it's a by product of making petrol.

• Advertisement
Advertisement