Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Cram Higher Maths

Options
  • 06-06-2018 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi guys i need a bit of help how do you exactly cramm higher maths ive been looking at many maths videos and finding out the technique but i have not done a lot of practicing and paper 1 is in two days so if anyone has any advice i would really appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 naomi powers

Oathkeeper wrote: »
    Hi guys i need a bit of help how do you exactly cramm higher maths ive been looking at many maths videos and finding out the technique but i have not done a lot of practicing and paper 1 is in two days so if anyone has any advice i would really appreciate it
    My grinds teacher said to make sure you know how to do everything in the 2017,2016 and 2015 papers because that's where you'll see the most trends. They're constantly taking stuff off the course and and adding stuff back on so if you can do those three years you'll be grand.
    Also make sure you can do implicit differentiation and the binomial theorem expansion seeing as they haven't come up ever. Stats and probability is a big part of paper two so make sure you know everything about that and you'll be good.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

My grinds teacher said to make sure you know how to do everything in the 2017,2016 and 2015 papers because that's where you'll see the most trends. They're constantly taking stuff off the course and and adding stuff back on so if you can do those three years you'll be grand.
    Also make sure you can do implicit differentiation and the binomial theorem expansion seeing as they haven't come up ever. Stats and probability is a big part of paper two so make sure you know everything about that and you'll be good.
    Good luck!

Implicit differentiation is not on the course

• Registered Users Posts: 33 naomi powers

lostatsea wrote: »
    Implicit differentiation is not on the course
    Idk if you got that from the syllabus but I was told that they took it off last year and added it on again this year. I'm just saying there would be no harm in knowing how to do it in case they put it on the paper

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

Implicit is on the course

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Oathkeeper

do you have any predictions or topics i should do in detail

• Advertisement

Implicit is on the course

This is news to me. Do you know where it is mentioned on the syllabus? Or was a letter sent saying it is part of the course?
    The fact it is in a Maths book does not mean it is on the syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

lostatsea wrote: »
    This is news to me. Do you know where it is mentioned on the syllabus? Or was a letter sent saying it is part of the course?
    The fact it is in a Maths book does not mean it is on the syllabus.

It is NOT on the syllabus. Some people are taught Implicit by teachers as a result of having to be able to find the equation of a tangent to a circle 'using differentiation'. That can be done without implicit differentiation however by expressing y in terms of x and using the chain rule.

The department's line on this is that there are questions where implicit differentiation can be used to solve questions but in cases where that does arise there MUST be alternative strategies to solve said question.

skippy1977 wrote: »
    It is NOT on the syllabus. Some people are taught Implicit by teachers as a result of having to be able to find the equation of a tangent to a circle 'using differentiation'. That can be done without implicit differentiation however by expressing y in terms of x and using the chain rule.

The department's line on this is that there are questions where implicit differentiation can be used to solve questions but in cases where that does arise there MUST be alternative strategies to solve said question.

Thanks for that clarification. That is my understanding of the situation.

Advertisement