Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Family Camping

Options
  • 06-06-2018 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for suggestions on nice family camping parks for families in the South East, preferably Wicklow. Looking for well maintained facilities and tents not overly cramped on top of each other.

We had been thinking about River Valley in Wicklow as their website looks great and seems to be lots to do. But read some reviews which said it's full of drunk parents not supervising their kids.

Any feedback on River Valley or alternatives much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

gandalfio wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for suggestions on nice family camping parks for families in the South East, preferably Wicklow. Looking for well maintained facilities and tents not overly cramped on top of each other.

We had been thinking about River Valley in Wicklow as their website looks great and seems to be lots to do. But read some reviews which said it's full of drunk parents not supervising their kids.

Any feedback on River Valley or alternatives much appreciated

Hi,

So this is our first year camping, so far we have stayed in Hidden Valley and Nore Valley. River Valley is next for us at the August Bank Holiday.

My feedback is as follows:

Hidden Valley
    So we went for the private pitch with electricity, so away from the big field of tents. This is a lovely campsite, very clean and no trouble when we were there. But its a site where you need money as everything costs money there, from the boats, cinema, showers, most activities bar the playground which shuts at 7pm. The open campsite seem more of a drinking zone but didn't see any trouble there. Security ensure all noise is gone by 11pm on the private pitch area. Kids loved it but had less freedom there as alot of cars moving around and a river on the site.

Nore Valley

This is a family run site. From the first moment we arrived we found this site so friendly and the kids seem to be of a younger age, mainly 10-5. Again we booked a pitch with electricity but not as private as Hidden Valley but still brilliant. Kids had alot more freedom here as everything is close by, playground, hay barn(kids loved jumping in the hay), feeding the animals, basketball and this was all free. You did pay for the go karts and crazy golf. Play ground stayed open till 1030pm. Also you could order pizza or fresh homemade scones and brown bread from the shop on the farm, all very reasonable. More room here for the kids to play sport also and less cars roaming about. This was my favourite site.

On all sites people are drinking, but never saw anyone drunk. I might have 2 drinks a night max.

River Valley has good and bad reviews like the above, i suppose it depends on the person and what they are looking for.

So far Nore Valley is my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Hi,

So this is our first year camping, so far we have stayed in Hidden Valley and Nore Valley. River Valley is next for us at the August Bank Holiday.

My feedback is as follows:

Hidden Valley
    So we went for the private pitch with electricity, so away from the big field of tents. This is a lovely campsite, very clean and no trouble when we were there. But its a site where you need money as everything costs money there, from the boats, cinema, showers, most activities bar the playground which shuts at 7pm. The open campsite seem more of a drinking zone but didn't see any trouble there. Security ensure all noise is gone by 11pm on the private pitch area. Kids loved it but had less freedom there as alot of cars moving around and a river on the site.

Nore Valley

This is a family run site. From the first moment we arrived we found this site so friendly and the kids seem to be of a younger age, mainly 10-5. Again we booked a pitch with electricity but not as private as Hidden Valley but still brilliant. Kids had alot more freedom here as everything is close by, playground, hay barn(kids loved jumping in the hay), feeding the animals, basketball and this was all free. You did pay for the go karts and crazy golf. Play ground stayed open till 1030pm. Also you could order pizza or fresh homemade scones and brown bread from the shop on the farm, all very reasonable. More room here for the kids to play sport also and less cars roaming about. This was my favourite site.

On all sites people are drinking, but never saw anyone drunk. I might have 2 drinks a night max.

River Valley has good and bad reviews like the above, i suppose it depends on the person and what they are looking for.

So far Nore Valley is my favourite.

Thanks for the great feedback. Nore Valley is a bit to far from us and Hidden Valley is booked out for our dates. It's a toss up now between River Valley and Roundwood

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

gandalfio wrote: »
    Thanks for the great feedback. Nore Valley is a bit to far from us and Hidden Valley is booked out for our dates. It's a toss up now between River Valley and Roundwood

That's fair enough. Go for the private pitch with electricity if you can. Just gives you a bit of more space. Also River valley has two zones, quiet time from 10pm or quiet time from 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

Anyone else have a good campsite to spend a week in with a 10&5 year old?
    Not connaght. Would like to be near a beach and things to do on wet days, and cycle around park at least . Some parks say no bikes!

Any one been up to any in Nothern Ireland as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cavan97

Hi Caseys in Dungarvan is excellent. right along the beach, about 4 km from Dungarvan and 1 Km from the Waterford-Dungarvan Greenway. Offers everything from tenting to caravan/motorhomes.

In Northern Ireland ive been to Rushin House and Castle Archdale.
    Rushing house (30 minutes from Enniskillen) has won best site in NI 2010-2015 & 2017. Its small and quiet and excellently maintained.
    For 5 & 10 year old kids, Castle Archdale is excellent, lovely cycle paths through the forest, decent playgrounds, there is a ferry you can take also from there. its 20 minutes from Enniskillen, it has a good size shop with ice cream and crepes, a chippy, a pub and a mobile Greek restaurant at weekends.

Hope to explore more as the season goes on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Morriscastle is good. You're right on a really good beach. Just over the dunes, and surprisingly sheltered.

Advertisement