Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philosophy, Politics, Economics UCD

Options
  • 06-06-2018 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I see UCD have brought a new range of Social Science programs which includes PPE.

I would be interested in the Politics and Economics side to this course but im being put off by the philosophy part and also the fact that its a BSc honours degree. So I have two questions..

1. What is Philsophy like to study at 3rd level?

2. Is a BSc course hard to graduate from? I also hate Science and im doing none of the three subjects for the LC so should I write off doing this course?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

I see UCD have brought a new range of Social Science programs which includes PPE.

I would be interested in the Politics and Economics side to this course but im being put off by the philosophy part and also the fact that its a BSc honours degree. So I have two questions..

2. Is a BSc course hard to graduate from? I also hate Science and im doing none of the three subjects for the LC so should I write off doing this course?

Thanks!

You need to do a bit more research than reading the course title tbh. Go on the UCD website and have a look at the course programme to see what subjects you'll be doing.

It's a BSc because economics and politics are both social sciences. You won't be doing chemistry in a PPE course.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jbloggs1245

I have done plenty of research but since its only being introduced as a new programe from 2018 on information is hard to come by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

I have done plenty of research but since its only being introduced as a new programe from 2018 on information is hard to come by.

It's not really. A quick Google will give you the course prospectus, page 38/39 for PPE
    https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/UCDSocialSciences.Sept17Prospectus.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj5j7X-87_bAhWROcAKHWoRAJoQFjAFegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3WZNEUUcOZO2xlJfjFNRQ5

The course subjects and career path/future study is outlined in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

I would be interested in the Politics and Economics side to this course but im being put off by the philosophy part and also the fact that its a BSc honours degree.

You can find information about the modules that would likely be contained within it here. The programme is new enough that it doesn't have its own page, so its difficult to know exactly what would be entailed.

Mostly studying important figures in philosophy and their ideas/ theses. It involves essay writing (like all Arts subjects). I found some of it interesting, but a lot of the theory I'd already kind of worked out on my own prior to college (how do we know that reality is real, why are ethics of any importance, what is the difference between individual perception and reality). The politics bits were fun (esp. Plato's Republic), but I only did a few modules of it (and nothing beyond stage 1), so I mightn't be the best to ask.

Thanks!

BSc is just a name. I've known people with BAs in computer science. It's the subjects involved, not the title that's important.

This is really an Arts degree claiming to be a science degree (sorry UCD, you know I'm right). The clue is that all 3 subjects are offered in Arts DN500. That means analytical thinking, lots of writing, etc. Economics is a bit of a strange beast. Lots of negative marking MCQs for that instead. Take a look at the modules for it and see what you think.

Prior knowledge isn't important. I mean who does politics or philosophy for LC? This doesn't mean that the subjects are a walk in the park though, if it's not your sort of thing you won't like it.

Advertisement