Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel Rod - good for other fishing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

You could use it for anything except the largest fish. However you might find it's limited from the beach - you'll probably need to be able to cast a good distance there, although the 12ft version would probably be fine. It will work from rocks or piers or anywhere you can reach reasonably deep water. You can also use it in fresh water - spinning for pike for example. It should easily handle anything up to 20lbs although I'm guessing that the line it comes with is probably around 8lb breaking strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

bpmurray wrote: »
    You could use it for anything except the largest fish. However you might find it's limited from the beach - you'll probably need to be able to cast a good distance there, although the 12ft version would probably be fine. It will work from rocks or piers or anywhere you can reach reasonably deep water. You can also use it in fresh water - spinning for pike for example. It should easily handle anything up to 20lbs although I'm guessing that the line it comes with is probably around 8lb breaking strain.

Great advice. Keep an eye on the line and make sure it doesn’t get frayed, if it does just cut it off. A couple of years ago I couldn’t catch a thing with some fancy lures but I found a piece of rotten fish and put it on the hook and caught a beauty of a pollack off some rocks. Fresh bait is better though...Hope u get out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I bought the same rod as in this example; a 10 feet Rovex Mackerel Hunter Combo. I got mackerel hooks.

Could I use such a rod for other fishing year round? Could you go beach fishing with it?

Thanks

https://www.henrystackleshop.com/en/complete-sea-fishing-outfits/5869-rovex-mackerel-hunter-combos.html

That's a grand set up for all types of fishing, if you could dig some fresh lug worm on the beach, come back just after high tide and fish for a couple of hours you'd be surprised what you can catch.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement