Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc, Economics & Policy Analysis

Options
  • 06-06-2018 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Has anybody done this course recently? I'm doing it this September and have a few questions.

How difficult are the maths and econometrics modules? I don't have a strong background in maths and feel like I need to do a bit of revision before I start.

What are the optional modules in professional development like and are they worthwhile?

What sort of topics have people done their dissertations on and how did you find it?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ec0nkid44

HOBSBAWM wrote: »
    Has anybody done this course recently? I'm doing it this September and have a few questions.

How difficult are the maths and econometrics modules? I don't have a strong background in maths and feel like I need to do a bit of revision before I start.

What are the optional modules in professional development like and are they worthwhile?

What sort of topics have people done their dissertations on and how did you find it?

Thank you!

Hi There,

I finished the course about 2 years ago. Same as yourself my maths wasn't great. I'll start off by saying I loved the course and have a decent job as an economist now. The maths is grand in the course don't worry about it at all put the work in and you'll be grand my maths wasn't great at all before I started. Econometrics semester 1 is grand too can fry your head at times and will take a bit of time and effort but there is a good split between theory and practical computer work. I found semester 2 econometrics harder but still doable once effort is put in, it's more theory based than 1st semester. Both modules are doable even if your maths isn't great, it'll just take a bit more work. I wouldn't bother with the revision better off getting your bearings first and chat to the lectures to see what would be worth revising they'll point you in the right direction.

The only optional module we had was professional development. Not many people from my course did it but the ones that did said it wasn't great. If you have work experience already it'll be similar things that you have learned. Might not be worth the time suss it out.

Thesis was great. Most of the lecturers are very approachable. One piece of advice is as the year goes on jot down potential thesis ideas and look for data surrounding the idea (data is key here) if you do this you will be well prepared from day 1. The topics people do are very diverse and normally fall in line with the supervisors interests.

It's a great course I'm delighted I did it.

Any other questions I'll answer what I can. I'm not on this often.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HOBSBAWM

Ec0nkid44 wrote: »
    Hi There,

I finished the course about 2 years ago. Same as yourself my maths wasn't great. I'll start off by saying I loved the course and have a decent job as an economist now. The maths is grand in the course don't worry about it at all put the work in and you'll be grand my maths wasn't great at all before I started. Econometrics semester 1 is grand too can fry your head at times and will take a bit of time and effort but there is a good split between theory and practical computer work. I found semester 2 econometrics harder but still doable once effort is put in, it's more theory based than 1st semester. Both modules are doable even if your maths isn't great, it'll just take a bit more work. I wouldn't bother with the revision better off getting your bearings first and chat to the lectures to see what would be worth revising they'll point you in the right direction.

The only optional module we had was professional development. Not many people from my course did it but the ones that did said it wasn't great. If you have work experience already it'll be similar things that you have learned. Might not be worth the time suss it out.

Thesis was great. Most of the lecturers are very approachable. One piece of advice is as the year goes on jot down potential thesis ideas and look for data surrounding the idea (data is key here) if you do this you will be well prepared from day 1. The topics people do are very diverse and normally fall in line with the supervisors interests.

It's a great course I'm delighted I did it.

Any other questions I'll answer what I can. I'm not on this often.

Hi, and thanks very much for the answer. When did you submit your thesis?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ec0nkid44

HOBSBAWM wrote: »
    Hi, and thanks very much for the answer. When did you submit your thesis?

You start the thesis after your exams finish in May and depending on the timeframe I think I handed it up the end of september/start of october can't remember for sure. You have the bones of 4 months though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HOBSBAWM

Ec0nkid44 wrote: »
    You start the thesis after your exams finish in May and depending on the timeframe I think I handed it up the end of september/start of october can't remember for sure. You have the bones of 4 months though.

Thanks!

How busy were you with lectures during the week? And how are lecturers with students missing lectures? I don't like missing lectures but want to head away for a weekend in October, Friday to Sunday, and don't want to book anything just yet in case missing lectures is a big no-no.

Advertisement