Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delays of 90 minutes on trains coming into Heuston this morning

Options
  • 06-06-2018 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭

I was on the 7.10 Waterford to Heuston train this morning. It stopped in Kildare and we were told that a train had failed between Newbridge and Sallins. The train was sitting on the line in Kildare for about 45 minutes then moved a few km. The next "explanation / apology" was so garbled we couldn't hear it. The train got into Heuston after 10.30am. It is supposed to get into Heuston at 8.58 am (it usually gets in around 9.10 but that's beside the point).

We were not offered a cup of tea or any sort of refreshment during the wait. When I enquired about compensation because the train was more than an hour late I was given a form but told that compensation was unlikely because the train was stopped due to an act of vandalism. That was news to me. There were continual announcements / apologies in Heuston station saying a train failed but there was no mention of vandalism.

Perhaps I'm being cynical but is the vandalism story an excuse so Heuston won't have to pay out compensation (ie the price of the journey ticket) to people who were inconvenienced by the 90 minute delay? The Irish are used to this treatment but I'm sure the foreign tourists waiting in Heuston were disgusted by the lack of organisation or customer service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Apparently a metal bar was planed on the line and given the time of day they people who placed it there wouldn't of had much time. The failure is kind of correct as it damaged the train. I don't think IE would make up such a lie about this.

If anything the fact they got SLW in operation so quick is a surprise...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Apparently a metal bar was planed on the line and given the time of day they people who placed it there wouldn't of had much time. The failure is kind of correct as it damaged the train. I don't think IE would make up such a lie about this.

If anything the fact they got SLW in operation so quick is a surprise...

I found out afterwards from news sources such as The Journal.ie that there was indeed a metal bar on the line. The least Irish Rail could have done was to give more updates to passengers on the train and let them know about the bar on the line. A cup of tea or coffee wouldn't have gone astray either.

Irish commuters are very patient and rarely complain about trains regularly getting into the station 10 or more minutes later than the scheduled time. This means missed buses and later finishes for people who already have a very long day. I also notice that evening trains have slowed down. It may well be an environmental fuel-saving measure but when people are on the road 3 hours or more a day 10 minutes lost from their precious evening is a big deal. It can mean having to make alternative arrangements with a creche, missing out on catching a shop before closing time, missing out on a bus connection to go visit somebody in hospital or giving up an exercise or yoga session - crucial for people who need to unwind after travelling more than an hour on a crowded train.

People who do long commutes are generally less healthy, more tired and less happy than those who don't have to.

However Irish Rail know they are going to get the regular commuting passengers because people can't afford to live near where they work so IR can treat them pretty much as they wish.

Getting back to the point of this thread if you don't have to compensate passengers for the inconvenience of a 60 minute or more delay please give them the courtesy of information updates. Unlike compensation, it doesn't cost you anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Not being entitled to compensation due to vandalism would suggest that you are not entitled due to any deliberate act. Meaning you wouldn't be entitled to a refund due a one under incident either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭dublinbuster

Emme wrote: »
    I also notice that evening trains have slowed down. It may well be an environmental fuel-saving measure but when people are on the road 3 hours or more a day 10 minutes lost from their precious evening is a big deal. It can mean having to make alternative arrangements with a creche, missing out on catching a shop before closing time, missing out on a bus connection to go visit somebody in hospital or giving up an exercise or yoga session - crucial for people who need to unwind after travelling more than an hour on a crowded train.

Would you mind paying a little extra so IE could open up the diesel engines and let her rip? Get you there faster but cost a little more

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Would you mind paying a little extra so IE could open up the diesel engines and let her rip? Get you there faster but cost a little more

Nope if they did I would take the bus they charge too much as it is.

• Advertisement

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Not being entitled to compensation due to vandalism would suggest that you are not entitled due to any deliberate act. Meaning you wouldn't be entitled to a refund due a one under incident either.

Anything not within the control of IE means you get nothing.
    I also notice that evening trains have slowed down. It may well be an environmental fuel-saving measure but when people are on the road 3 hours or more a day 10 minutes lost from their precious evening is a big deal. It can mean having to make alternative arrangements with a creche, missing out on catching a shop before closing time, missing out on a bus connection to go visit somebody in hospital or giving up an exercise or yoga session - crucial for people who need to unwind after travelling more than an hour on a crowded train.

Which services?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Anything not within the control of IE means you get nothing.

That's riddiculous sure IE could say that any disruption is beyond their control from leaves on the line to trainset failure. Where is the line drawn from IE perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,622 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Emme wrote: »
    I found out afterwards from news sources such as The Journal.ie that there was indeed a metal bar on the line. The least Irish Rail could have done was to give more updates to passengers on the train and let them know about the bar on the line. A cup of tea or coffee wouldn't have gone astray either.

Irish commuters are very patient and rarely complain about trains regularly getting into the station 10 or more minutes later than the scheduled time. This means missed buses and later finishes for people who already have a very long day. I also notice that evening trains have slowed down. It may well be an environmental fuel-saving measure but when people are on the road 3 hours or more a day 10 minutes lost from their precious evening is a big deal. It can mean having to make alternative arrangements with a creche, missing out on catching a shop before closing time, missing out on a bus connection to go visit somebody in hospital or giving up an exercise or yoga session - crucial for people who need to unwind after travelling more than an hour on a crowded train.

People who do long commutes are generally less healthy, more tired and less happy than those who don't have to.

However Irish Rail know they are going to get the regular commuting passengers because people can't afford to live near where they work so IR can treat them pretty much as they wish.

Getting back to the point of this thread if you don't have to compensate passengers for the inconvenience of a 60 minute or more delay please give them the courtesy of information updates. Unlike compensation, it doesn't cost you anything.

Well let's not go mad here. When Irish Rail try to inform passengers on social media of delays and the reasons there are always complaints. When a bridge is struck because people can't seem to see the big yokes with yellow and black paint on them. I saw one person complain and tell the person manning the account to tell the driver to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,622 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That's riddiculous sure IE could say that any disruption is beyond their control from leaves on the line to trainset failure. Where is the line drawn from IE perspective.

Well leaves on the track they have a remedy for that that is done before it and also they slow down. A loco failing is beyond their control as despite what some think, I don't think the staff at Irish Rail want trains to fail but they are machines and do fail. If IR could predict the future they'd sort them before they happen, or else do the lottery and be rich.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well leaves on the track they have a remedy for that that is done before it and also they slow down. A loco failing is beyond their control as despite what some think, I don't think the staff at Irish Rail want trains to fail but they are machines and do fail. If IR could predict the future they'd sort them before they happen, or else do the lottery and be rich.

It's not the passengers fault either someone has to be held liable

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »

They have more control over it than other things. Failures happen if the fleet isn't serviced regularly and I'm sure there is times the fleet will miss its cycle for various reasons but the fact is failures are preventable in most cases because most faults are logged in real time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

It's not the passengers fault either someone has to be held liable

Well take up your issue with the people who purposely caused the damage!

I'm sure that they'll be extremely apologetic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Well take up your issue with the people who purposely caused the damage!

I'm sure that they'll be extremely apologetic!

Of course, there is damn all chance of those responsible being arrested and prosecuted.

Advertisement