Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Studies for LC

Options
  • 06-06-2018 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is anyone out there going to be teaching CS for the new LC?

From looking through the Teaching Council, my primary degree qualifies me to get a PME to teach it, but I havent seen any colleges offering a PME with Computer Studies! Will schools that offer the subject just be getting current teachers to teach it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Saint_Mel wrote: »

From looking through the Teaching Council, my primary degree qualifies me to get a PME to teach it, but I havent seen any colleges offering a PME with Computer Studies! Will schools that offer the subject just be getting current teachers to teach it?

Currently, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

You do a PME and then you study your subject methodologies as part of it. IT is one of mine if you have any questions. Although I havn't used it since I did my dip a few years ago.

I wouldn't be doing a PME in order to teach ICT as it won't be rolled out to every school for many years to come. It may not even go for a second run if students don't achieve the same as other subjects/there is no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Will schools that offer the subject just be getting current teachers to teach it?
    That is how these things work in the country. Given that, anecdotally, software engineers/programmers make far, far more money than teachers, even if they’re not much good, I expect there to be a shortage here for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭poster2525

These teachers have been upskilling. I've met a good few in the last year at various training courses at weekends, over midterm etc. Some are also undertaking postgraduate study.

Advertisement