Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armed Robbery at M9 Topaz

Options
  • 06-06-2018 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭

Reports of an armed robbery at the Topaz garage in Tinryland, Carlow just off the M9.

2 armed robbers, shot fired , no injuries, happened at 2am this morning.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

ok

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Mountainy men.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Think next year it will be a Circle K.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

ok

Tbf, it's something worthy of discussion, I know if in had a family member working there, I'd be concerned.

If a shot was fired, that makes it more worrying, we seen just yesterday morning how innocent civilians can get caught up in these kind of things.

It's another case of criminals using the motorway networks to carry out their activities.

We need more armed support units patrolling these motorways, and mandatory - quite severe and lengthy sentences for those involved .

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

There is going to have to be an increase in armed support units . Something will have to be cut in the next budget to allow this .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

2forjoy wrote: »
    Something will have to be cut in the next budget to allow this .

Unarmed Support Units.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Tbf, it's something worthy of discussion, I know if in had a family member working there, I'd be concerned.

And if my aunt had balls...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

ok

Smart-arsery ....

Do you fail to see the seriousness of it? These Motorway service stations are quite vunerable to nighttime raiders, as they are on a motorway within tow mins of robbing the station, and miles away in any direction before the Gardaí are on scene.
    It seems as the criminal element have moved on from robbing houses near motorways, to now hitting service stations....
    Do the Gardaí patrol the motorways? I cant ever remember seeing any patrol cars at nightime (apart from the speed-gunner near Naas)

:confused::rolleyes:

Very intelligent .....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Something will have to be cut in the next budget to allow this .

Politician pensions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

In all fairness, I think there's slightly more chance of people posting in these threads having family members employed in the Irish retail sector, than people with aunts that have testicles.

But I digress.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

ok
    kneemos wrote: »
    Mountainy men.
    Think next year it will be a Circle K.

You know, I really wouldn't mind awfully if there was a rollback on Web 2.0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

There is going to have to be an increase in armed support units . Something will have to be cut in the next budget to allow this .

Papal security?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

3 men and a woman arrested in Carlow town according to RTE after 9am this morning .
    Quick work by the Gardai .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭facehugger99

greenspurs wrote: »
    Reports of an armed robbery at the Topaz garage in Tinryland, Carlow just off the M9.

2 armed robbers, shot fired , no injuries, happened at 2am this morning.

And now over to Andy for the sports update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

3 men and a woman arrested in Carlow town according to RTE after 9am this morning .

They've made strides but women are still massively under represented in
    the armed robbery industry. It may be time for quotas.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Whilst I somehow get the point of the second poster, where AHs is sometimes used a news dump, with sometimes no own view, or a link. Think there is still a lot making light of this.

What the Guards need, not nessesary all, but is more to be armed, and not just to be trained how to fire a gun, but also tactical. Also now with an expanding road net work, faster cars, and training how to drive them. A Hyundai is not going to cut it in a Motorway pursuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    They've made strides but women are still massively under represented in
    the armed robbery industry. It may be time for quotas.

Nowhere is the gender pay gap more evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Whilst I somehow get the point of the second poster, where AHs is sometimes used a news dump, with sometimes no own view, or a link. Think there is still a lot making light of this.

What the Guards need, not nessesary all, but is more to be armed, and not just to be trained how to fire a gun, but also tactical. Also now with an expanding road net work, faster cars, and training how to drive them. A Hyundai is not going to cut it in a Motorway pursuit.

What if it’s a Hyundai vs a Hyundai?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Mint Sauce wrote: »

Also Carlow town is a bit of a dump, build a wall around it or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I worked in a Topaz about 10 years ago during the recession, had to use the panic button once when two lads were hanging around in the shop for 15-20 minutes not buying or doing anything (the shop had other customers in at all times during that spell, it seemed they were waiting for others to leave) and I caught a glimpse of a shotgun under the long coat one of them had on. Right as I pressed it, the guy looked over at me, down to my waist (it was on my belt) and they within 5 seconds they were both out of the shop and walking very, very quickly down and around the corner

No joke, within 90-120 seconds of hitting the button the Gards arrived - two plain clothes guys who appeared out of absolutely nowhere (must've parked to the back as there was pub car park beside) and two squad cars across the street about 15 seconds from them entering the front door. We couldn't identify them because they seemed to have moving from one of the blind spots in the shop down to another down to a fine art, but the response time was pretty phenomenal I thought. Being stuck in an island in the middle of a shop and seeing a shotgun is not a fun experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,888 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

And now for our dysfunctional legal system to kick in, free legal aid etc.

What's the betting on previous convictions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2671712/gardai-arrests-armed-thugs-topaz-filling-station-fire-gunshot-cash-tinryland-carlow/

That's not too far from where I live. I've often went in for a can of Coke or something while taking a walk around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Nice to see these pr1cks caught.

And now over to Andy for the sports update.

if you don't like it, don't fcuking read it .... simple .... :rolleyes:

Advertisement