Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water spraying from immersion, why?

Options
  • 06-06-2018 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Woke up this morning to hear water spraying all over the place from the expansion tank! Thank God it happened whilst I was here! The water wasn’t that hot, the tank has a thermometer to ensure it cuts off rather than overheat and is had only been heating an hour when it started leaking. There had been a fault with that expansion tank a year or two back so was changed. Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Can you show us a pic of the exact spot of the leak?

It’s very likely that you will need professional advice on the cause of a second failure so soon.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Thanks for the reply, turns out the expansion tank is busted. That same expansion tank was only fitted last year! Apparently there is high acidic content which contributed to the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Thanks for the reply, turns out the expansion tank isn’t busted. That same expansion tank was only fitted last year! Apparently there is high acidic content which contributed to the issue

Someone is telling porkies!! No way would water be so acidic as to cause that! If it was, you'd have no flesh on your bones by now!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Thanks for the reply, turns out the expansion tank isn’t busted. That same expansion tank was only fitted last year! Apparently there is high acidic content which contributed to the issue

So where exactly was the water coming from?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

What pressure is normally showing on that pressure gauge adjacent to the "linen basket"?.

This thread may help: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057077584

• Advertisement

Oops, I meant the expansion tank *is* busted! My phone auto corrected it in the earlier post. The water was spraying out from the expansion tank at some force, enough to hit the opposite wall (approx 6 feet).

John.G wrote: »
    What pressure is normally showing on that pressure gauge adjacent to the "linen basket"?.

This thread may help: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057077584
    Thanks John, which pressure gauge do you mean?

Oops, I meant the expansion tank *is* busted! My phone auto corrected it in the earlier post. The water was spraying out from the expansion tank at some force, enough to hit the opposite wall (approx 6 feet).

The one just under where you have the red basket/tub.

Oh :) that’s a temperature dial, it’s allows one to set the max temp (it’s set to 50), just to the right is the actual temperature

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

Oh :) that’s a temperature dial, it’s allows one to set the max temp (it’s set to 50), just to the right is the actual temperature

It would appear that whoever changed the expansion vessel used a "old" one as it stamped 27/10/12??

• Advertisement

John.G wrote: »
    It would appear that whoever changed the expansion vessel used a "old" one as it stamped 27/10/12??

That's the one that was replaced last year... Keep up.. ;-)

Does the photo of last years pressure vessel failure suggest that the tank may have ruptured due to over-pressurisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I don't see a T & P valve on the cylinder.
    Can you post a clearer picture of the device on the uppermost tank connection that appears to have a pipe connected that runs down into the white plastic pipe.
    Where does the cylinder get its water supply from, is it from a pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I don't see a T & P valve on the cylinder.
    Can you post a clearer picture of the device on the uppermost tank connection that appears to have a pipe connected that runs down into the white plastic pipe.
    Where does the cylinder get its water supply from, is it from a pump?

Looks like am mq pump on the floor, can't see any T&P valve though

• Registered Users Posts: 23,276 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thanks for the reply, turns out the expansion tank is busted. That same expansion tank was only fitted last year! Apparently there is high acidic content which contributed to the issue
    Over torqued screws?

Advertisement