Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vicar Street Redevelopment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well that's progress I suppose.

I enjoy Vicar Street because I unfortunately suffer from being stuck in the middle of a row or not being able to "escape". Common enough I hope! So there are some great seats there that suit me.

But it is not all about me. Great venue just the same, and I am not one bit surprised it is being developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,064 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

was only ever there twice (and meant to go there for an Wrestling Q&A in July but that got moved to the Tivoli) and loved it as it felt like a intimate experience. The area around it is fairly old fashioned but its the Libertines i suppose and is a very historic area.

How come they never redeveloped The Olympia, by god thats a run down place imo. Here in Waterford we only have 3 decent music venues (there all about the size of Vicar street), count yourselfs lucky Dubliners

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Vicar St is a great intimate larger venue. I really hope that however it’s developed it won’t loose its charm, quality and overall feel but I’m skeptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,734 ✭✭✭hynesie08

A 2000 cap standing venue could be amazing for Dublin, would put us in line with the O2 academies in the UK, might be only 500 extra but that could be where the bands make their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,824 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wait. Vicar street and charm ?

What.

It's likes big sports hall that's been painted black inside. Not that I dislike the place but charm... Come on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

listermint wrote: »
    Wait. Vicar street and charm ?

What.

It's likes big sports hall that's been painted black inside. Not that I dislike the place but charm... Come on

Compare it to most other music venues and it’s a winner, Firstly it’s purpose built as a music venue so wherever you are there are at least reasonable views and comfort when compared to the likes of The Olympia etc. Also the sound is always first class and not too difficult to get a drink the way it’s designed. I can’t really fault it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I like Vicar Street cause the sound quality is usually pretty good, but cant say I ever found it in any way charming. If an increase in capacity is the difference between a band including a Dublin date or not this could be a great development.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

PTH2009 wrote: »
    was only ever there twice (and meant to go there for an Wrestling Q&A in July but that got moved to the Tivoli) and loved it as it felt like a intimate experience. The area around it is fairly old fashioned but its the Libertines i suppose and is a very historic area.

How come they never redeveloped The Olympia, by god thats a run down place imo. Here in Waterford we only have 3 decent music venues (there all about the size of Vicar street), count yourselfs lucky Dubliners

I'm from Waterford but living in Dublin the last few years. I loved the Forum while it was going, Electric Avenue had the worst layout imaginable but had some great bands there. Not being smart, but where are the 3 decent music venues you mention? I can only think of the Theatre Royal.

Also on Vicar Street, a bigger venue is certainly welcome but I hope they don't ruin it's appeal. Had some great nights in there over the years, probably my favourite current venue in Dublin now that Tripod and the Ambassador are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Remember the small club that used to part of Vicar St (Shelter I think it was called?). Saw some great gigs there including my first gig after the smoking ban came in. Would be great if something like that was included in the redevelopment.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

"How come they never redeveloped The Olympia, by god thats a run down place imo. "......

Olympia just had a multi million euro refit.
    New seats in the stalls, all the bars completely re done, all the old plasterwork repaired, new roof, and complete technical re fit across pa, lights and theatre rigging... all done within constant supervision as it is a listed building.

First thing, imo, is get your facts right...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,064 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

johnnykilo wrote: »
    I'm from Waterford but living in Dublin the last few years. I loved the Forum while it was going, Electric Avenue had the worst layout imaginable but had some great bands there. Not being smart, but where are the 3 decent music venues you mention? I can only think of the Theatre Royal.

Also on Vicar Street, a bigger venue is certainly welcome but I hope they don't ruin it's appeal. Had some great nights in there over the years, probably my favourite current venue in Dublin now that Tripod and the Ambassador are gone.

The Theatre Royal is a decent venue but not been able to take the seats out is a pain

Decent venues in Waterford City today who would attract small National/international acts is Crystal (or Project Waterford I think it's called today, it's above Shortts where Electric Avenue was) and the Reg is a nice size for a small national act. The WIT Arena has potential and might be what were asking for in Waterford City

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

hynesie08 wrote: »
    A 2000 cap standing venue could be amazing for Dublin, would put us in line with the O2 academies in the UK, might be only 500 extra but that could be where the bands make their money.
    Bord gais, National Stadium and Helix are all around the 2k mark. Then nothing between those and the 14k Point.
    I think what's needed is the 3-6k venue. Other than some of the outdoor summer venues (iveagh etc), we don't have anywhere for that size of a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,623 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,734 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Bord gais, National Stadium and Helix are all around the 2k mark. Then nothing between those and the 14k Point.
    I think what's needed is the 3-6k venue. Other than some of the outdoor summer venues (iveagh etc), we don't have anywhere for that size of a gig.

Bord gais is all seated, stadium is next to impossible to book, and the helix has a large balcony. I'm specifically talking about a large standing space, like the roundhouse in Camden or the barrowlands in Glasgow. The Olympia is great but it's a 50/50 split between seating and standing, which isn't great for half the acts that play there. You'd Still have seats, disabled access etc, but it'd basically be a massive dancefloor....

Agreed on a 5k cap venue though, although the half setup at the 3 isn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Bord gais is all seated, stadium is next to impossible to book, and the helix has a large balcony. I'm specifically talking about a large standing space, like the roundhouse in Camden or the barrowlands in Glasgow. The Olympia is great but it's a 50/50 split between seating and standing, which isn't great for half the acts that play there. You'd Still have seats, disabled access etc, but it'd basically be a massive dancefloor....

Agreed on a 5k cap venue though, although the half setup at the 3 isn't that bad.
    Right you are, didn't spot the standing part

Advertisement