Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me with insurance... please

Options
  • 05-06-2018 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I need all the help I can get here.

I am so determined and motivated to get a car and am taking lessons, I'm saving like mad for a car but the insurance is killing me, because I can't get any!!!

Out of 9 companies only 2 gave me a quote and they were both €4000+ and I just don't have that kind of money.

My criteria is as follows...

Housewife, Dublin, 33, learner permit, 0 ncb, no previous experience or insurance policy but I've had the license 10years (nerves and money held me back)

Is there some sort of code word or a secret hand shake that I don't know about, feeling completely overwhelmed and defeated about all of this.

So any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

What car are you trying to get insured on?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭RuasMum

I don't have a car yet, I'm learning in my instructors car, it's a slow and arduous process but it's all I can do.

I have been using a 08 D Ford fiesta 1.2l car as a template when I request a quote online /over the phone, purely because it's the closest match to what I'll be looking for when I do get a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Find the reg of something newer on done deal to use as a template. 08 means you're getting the 10 years old loading bull****. See if that brings the quote down. Ring everyone, and do an enormous amount of shopping around. I saved my self 1,900 euros this year by putting a full day away to shop for insurance.

I'm stuck there too, financially, because any newer cars are out of my price range, my instructor suggested using my parents address in Derry as insurance is cheaper up there.

I don't want to do that but when a company up there quoted me £1051 & for the same policy I was quoted €4578 down here I could be convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Try adding either a partner or your parents to the policy as that normally reduces the quote. Is there anyone's policy you could get named on? Even if you had just a year's named driving experience that would help a lot

• Advertisement

I know, but no I have absolutely nobody to ask, my partner and parents don't drive and I couldn't put my friends in a position like that, you know?

I am the worst candidate for insurance and I understand why, I just can't find a way out of this that doesn't involve me googling how to sell a kidney for cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭syntheticjunk

Get a full license first.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sergiot

try pass your test, and you could easily be quoted less than 1000, 0 ncb
    i am 22 and i was quoted 1,334 for insurance on a 1L 2007 corsa, full licence.

you are 33 easily 800-1000
    good luck

Advertisement