Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for a vegetarian stew ?

Options
  • 05-06-2018 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Are veggies sausages any good as an ingredient ?. Ideas appreciated, thanks S :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Seitan is the best stuff for a stew - although a stew today might be a bit out of season :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

I've made this with sausages and its very tasty

https://www.quorn.co.uk/recipes/spanish-sausage-casserole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I mostly just use pulses and legumes in my stews - cheap, convenient and great for bulking it up. In the winter though I'll make coddle with Quorn sausages and rashers (grilled before soaking in the stew juices) - pure comfort food :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭HelenT

Sausages are good but I prefer lentils

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Mushrooms! Different wild types,dried porcini, mushroom ketchup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭damianch

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Mushrooms! Different wild types,dried porcini, mushroom ketchup.

Stew is great with no added faux meat.
    • Get some mustards to really add flavour to the selection of veg .
    • I usually sweat off some onions in butter. Add herbs then spuds. and fry them off.
    • Then all the various veg, usually carrots, parsnip, squash, all chunky!
    • Then toss in some nice mushrooms such as chestnut.
    • Then just before going for the boil add a couple of tins of tomatoe and then a litre of stock . Maybe some wine if you like .
    • A good dollop of mustard and then let it be.

To make it extra lush ( like a beef stroganof, reduce the stew more and whip some fresh cream and fold it in at the end )

**Add a tea spoon of sugar for every tin of tomatoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

First fairly nice veggie stew today, unfortunately I did mimic meat, using sausages but 'needs must'. Veggie sausages (didn't eat them but used them for flavour), chickpeas, cabbage, onions, parsnip, garlic, veggie stock...7/10. It's a start :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

If it's that rich meaty flavour you're looking for, I recommend adding a generous spoon of vegemite during cooking. Works especially well with mushrooms or kidney beans.

Made potato cakes a few days ago successfully....just a small step but it's another option for me :)

• Advertisement
    • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sounds good, did you follow a recipe online?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

I agree, sausage is not necessary.

Things I do (not all at once) to enhance a vegan stew:

Adding a few tbs of red wine gives any stew a kick, a wonderful aroma.

Try stirring in a tablespoon of tamari at the end of cooking.

Halfway through cooking, stir in a tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter.

Near the end of cooking, throw in a scant tablespoon of chutney.

There's loads of other things to 'beef' up a vegan stew; I might put some in a blog sometime....

Onions,garlic,potato,parsnip,carrot,potato,tomato-what should I add to these to make a tasty stew?. Really need to learn how to do a good stew :)

Spirogyra wrote: »
      Onions,garlic,potato,parsnip,carrot,potato,tomato-what should I add to these to make a tasty stew?. Really need to learn how to do a good stew :)

I'd be happy at that! But see my post above yours - or try adding a little vecon; try frying the onion first with cumin seeds; try roasting the veggies before adding to stew.

Put in a tablespoon of sweet paprika just after you’ve sweated the onions and garlic.

I assume you’re using stock too ?

Itry roasting the veggies before adding to stew.

That's a very good idea.

Roasting works especially well for beetroot and sweet potato (throw in some peeled garlic too) - and you can leave the skins on, after washing and chopping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If you're making a chilli style stew I'd recommend throwing in a square of really dark chocolate. It really enriches it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

• Advertisement
    • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could experiment with okra.

spurious wrote: »
      You could experiment with okra.

I'm a bit wary of its slimy texture. Wouldn't mind trying an okra stew someone else had made!

Advertisement