Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does this mean on a Fly Rod?

Options
  • 05-06-2018 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Does anyone know what this means?

Rec. Head Weight:
    11-13g / 170-200 grains

I am looking a buying a rod and do now know which to choose.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

What type of rod? That looks like the weighting the rod can handle for a high density sink tip. Is it a spey rod?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

A single handed trout rod.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That reads more like a bait/spinning rod, or really old measurements you'd find on a pre AFTMA rated rod? Can't say I've seen that before in modern rods. That's no indication mind you, as my ignorance in general is only surpassed by my long-windedness. :o

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

I think that refers to the line that is suitable for the rod. It’s more technical than I understand, I think it’s about sinking fly lines. I only use floating fly lines so I don’t really know which is suitable for you. If you only want to use floating line probably best to google what the standard head weight is for that line.
    This is worth a quick read.
    http://www.eddierobinsons.com/choosing-the-best-sinking-fly-line/

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭OwlEye

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Slasher wrote: »
    Does anyone know what this means?

Rec. Head Weight:
    11-13g / 170-200 grains

I am looking a buying a rod and do now know which to choose.

Thanks.

The numbers refer to the weight of a shooting head line. Shooting heads are becoming more popular for certain types of fishing.
    This article explains it better than I can: http://globalflyfisher.com/fish-better/shooting-heads.
    It's probably equivalent to a 6-weight rod, so if you don't want to go down the shooting head route a 6-weight line should cast well on it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OwlEye wrote: »
    170 to 200 grains would equate to #5 aftm
    170 to 200 grains would be more like an #7 AFTM Owl. A #5 weight would be around 140 grains.

The use of grains itself is very American. Back in the old days the Brits tended to use wire gauges as a guide, the Americans used grains, the French, Italian and Spanish grams(and different rod/line makers had their own specs). Like I say I haven't seen that kinda thing on modern rods. I've only seen it in regard to old, mostly silk lines. TBH I only know something about this stuff as outside of a brief time in the 80's I've "kept faith" with silk lines and would grab them where and when I could. Before the new makers came along, like Phoenix etc.

EDIT just read your link there Owl. Funny that the "old" measurements had 170-200 grains/11-12 grams as a #7. You;d think that would be consistent over time? If it were down to line diameters I could understand it alright as silk lines were/are thinner than synthetic for the same weight, but weight is weight.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭OwlEye

Added a link to Guideline website above. Their trout (fario) blanks are rated in grams and grains.

Advertisement