Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The LEGO Movie 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dang it now I'm singing it and I didn't open the clip.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,964 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Missed me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Trailer 3. Can't wait for this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Looks like a lot of fun :)

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,212 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

think I'll watch the first one again later !!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,629 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looks to be out here next week, awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ThePott

Saw this yesterday, a very good movie. Not as good as the first but that's a high bar. When it's mixing the real world and the lego world is when it shines. Some very catchy songs too. Interested to see another one for sure.

Went into more detail in a little video review if anyone cares to watch (skip to 2:07 for the actual review):

https://youtu.be/srdYueGFkm4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Huge fan of the original, but this didn't entirely work for me.

I'd rate it slightly behind the Lego Batman Movie, which I like. The real world theme/message isn't as woven as effectively as the first and overall feels forced. I just don't think Rex as a character/device works and is little too heavy handed as meta level comedy. It's just missing that spark and at times can feel the creative team trying to ape what worked for L&M. It's still a thousand times better than the Ninjago movie.

I thought this was a movie of 3 parts.

The post-apocalyptic earth was fantastic, the Sistar section was very short on laughs, and the last 20 minutes were excellent.

A very funny movie, but not as good as the first one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Went over weekend, thought it was just OK - a bit meh....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Huge fan of the first one... felt somewhat underwhelmed by this.

Much of what made the first one *awesome* was the sheer originality of it. It was new, funny and downright insane to watch. There was a hero, a villain, a plot and a classic supporting cast.

This one was a disjointed bunch of set pieces with the old gang, but lacked any real through line. There was no piece of resistance. And no Lord Business.

Yeah, there were some good bits (the credits!) but I'll need another watch to dispel the feeling that this is quite an inferior sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I thought it was good. Not as good as the first, but not as bad as some are making it out here. The whole plot of
    brother and sister playing together
    was good, not as powerful as the realworld message in the first.
    I'd put it above the Batman one, but below the original

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I enjoyed it as whole more then How to train your dragon 3, even though I love that franchise more. But this was much better rounded film.

Not as strong as the first one. But I think it's overall better then the lego batman movie but it's nowhere near as packed with jokes as batman. Which is kinda what I didnt like about the lego batman. That movie just never slowed down. This one did and while it's a bit predictable it was enjoyable. My biggest issue is it felt like the supporting cast got a bit screwed over but thats because I'm a huge Allison Brie fan and even though she's in the film a lot she has very little to do. This one leans very heavily into Emmett and Lucy.

It's sadly flopped in america, made half of what the original made in the same timeframe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,964 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It suffers from that age-old problem where the original film surpassed expectations so spectacularly (who honestly thought a 'Lego Movie' would ever work, or the final feature be so smart, funny and a legitimately good film?) a sequel was always going to run the risk of feeling underwhelming in comparison.

And so The Lego Movie 2 ends up being just that; a tad underwhelming and even disappointing in places. This is no Toy Story 2 - but it then again it wasn't Cars 2 either: most of the jokes still land and I laughed plenty, but it definitely had a baggier, flimsier middle act. It also tried to repeat the same style of twist as before, encompassing a message about 'the right way' to play with Legos, but again, the original film hit heights so confidently that going to that same well was only going to leave the sequel coming off second best.

Definitely wasn't so shotgun happy with the jokes as the Lego Batman film was, and for that I'm a little thankful.

This song’s gonna get stuck inside your .... This song’s gonna get stuck inside your .... This song’s gonna get stuck inside your head
    This song’s gonna get stuck inside your .... This song’s gonna get stuck inside your .... This song’s gonna get stuck inside your head

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

They weren't wrong about that. :p

[You're Welcome|I'm Truly Sorry], delete where applicable ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Saw it last night and really enjoyed. Some really good callbacks to the original, good use of real and LEGO world and the events that impact one another, funny, looks good, and some very catchy songs. And, as promised, this song is stuck inside my head!

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Watched Lego Movie 2 last night; The movie moves at a blistering pace and we found it difficult to keep up. At times it felt like we missed something because of how fast the story progressed and it didn't make much sense. I do appreciate that its Lego and therefore fantasy in a childs head. It still does not validate the sloppy writing. "Aliens" suddenly appear -> Mad Max -> (time travel) -> temple destruction -> (time travel) -> end

There were some funny moments which got a chuckle out of us and the overall message that Lego is for everyone to share and play with is sweet.

The "Everything's not awesome" song is a poignant representation of the movie. 3 / 10. Should have watched Roma instead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement