Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting outdoor block wall, no render.

Options
  • 05-06-2018 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I want to paint the wall with Sandtex or Weathershield.

Do I need to prime the wall first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭topcat77

Nope. you'll need at least 2 coats. I'd advise using a sprayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

water down first coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭topcat77

And power wash the walks first to remove debris, make sure the walls are completely dry before painting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

topcat77 wrote: »
    And power wash the walks first to remove debris, make sure the walls are completely dry before painting

Did this few years ago.. Used a lot of paint.. Had to dab on to fill holes..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

I want to paint the wall with Sandtex or Weathershield.

Do I need to prime the wall first?

This question pops up a lot. It doesn’t matter whether you are painting blockwork or plastered blockwork, be it for the first time or repainting because the previous coating is flaking/peeling off.

1. Remove any loose paint with a scraper.
    2. Power washing is ideal but not vital.
    3. Apply one liberal coat of this and allow to dry overnight or at least for a few hours.( No real care needed with this part of the process. It can be applied with a roller and tray very quickly.)
    4. Apply 2 coats of a good quality masonry paint.

That’s it. You’re sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement