Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

airport parking & security

Options
  • 05-06-2018 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Looks like it's been a while since this was discussed. Anyone got recent info on parking a motorcycle at any of the airports ? I'm especially interested in Shannon but any info is good.
    Focus on cost and bike security or lack thereof.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So long ago, that it took me pressing on page 2 of this forum to find it

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057872194

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

Thanks for the reply Listerman, I see your point and its a lesson in search strings I tried 'airport parking motorcycle' being ever so precise and there has been nothing in years.
    Maybe a thread on motorcycle versus motorbike versus bike is needed ? Wait don't tell me ....
    Good news is Dublin airport users can use bike or motorcycle and get a hit. Still holding out for anything recent on Shannon airport, being, as I said the one of most interest to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I think you would be safe parking the bike at Shannon there is good security but I have never parked there myself

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

Seeing as I dislike hanging threads so much I had better post an answer to this question based on my experience parking at Shannon airport.
    Using the left lane to access the short term car park and positioning my motorcycle engine approximately where a car engine would be, I popped the drive into neutral deployed the kick stand and dismounted so I could push the access button on the ticket machine. Ticket in hand ... And that's the hardest (see below) ... I parked next to the short/long term barrier and chained bike.
    Before going to the airport I did phone the carpark administration office and asked 'should I use a carpark space or can I chain bike to something' the guy told me I shouldn't use a carpark space as I wouldn't be paying (his words) but it was ok to secure bike to something suitable.
    After parking I spoke to security and was told as long as I didn't obstruct people or traffic they had no issue. Securing the bike was ok.
    I exited the car park via the long term exit where there are 3/4 lenght barriers.
    So there you have it.
    Final tip, if you roll up to the ticketing machine in the right lane to access the short term car park you may need to reverse. I could not get the ticket to eject.

Advertisement