Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undersink water heater - recommendations or alternatives please !

Options
  • 05-06-2018 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I want to get an undersink water heater for our kitchen. We have a solid fuel / oil heating system, and in the Summer if we need hot water for anything we either turn on the oil to heat the water for an hour, or the immersion.

It would be great to have constant hot water in the kitchen so I'm thinking of an undersink water heather.

We do not have a pressurised water system, and we do not have mains water either - our 2 options for the water feed are directly from the water cylinder upstairs (i.e. gravity fed) or direct off the water from our pump house - it does not have very high pressure either as the water passes through an iron / magnesium resin tank, a UV light tube and then nearer our house it goes through a water softener resin tank also (we do have a feed that does not go through the water softener for drinking water, but it's very high calcium and I think any water heater would die with limescale build up within a year if we used that line)

Any suggestions as to the best heater to get / or the best solution even ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

beertons wrote: »
    Would a hot tap be an option?
    Do you mean one of the instant hot water taps ?
    I think a lot of them require a certain minimum pressure to operate - I'm thinking I'll need to get a pressure gauge to see what type of pressure I have on the tap to be sure.....

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I want to get an undersink water heater for our kitchen. We have a solid fuel / oil heating system, and in the Summer if we need hot water for anything we either turn on the oil to heat the water for an hour, or the immersion.

It would be great to have constant hot water in the kitchen so I'm thinking of an undersink water heather.

We do not have a pressurised water system, and we do not have mains water either - our 2 options for the water feed are directly from the water cylinder upstairs (i.e. gravity fed) or direct off the water from our pump house - it does not have very high pressure either as the water passes through an iron / magnesium resin tank, a UV light tube and then nearer our house it goes through a water softener resin tank also (we do have a feed that does not go through the water softener for drinking water, but it's very high calcium and I think any water heater would die with limescale build up within a year if we used that line)

Any suggestions as to the best heater to get / or the best solution even ?

Thanks !

Would you or can you consider solar panels on your roof?

we did that, and we have hot water all day in the summer without having to turn on the immersion - our ESB bills have gone way down, even last year.

Our water comes directly from the well, through filters for what comes into the house (same reasons), and our immersion works on both systems. Heating comes through a Stanley oil range.
    Now we have a main pressure system, I totally refused keeping a tank in the attic (except for the expansion tank) as we have been flooded after a pipe burst in 2010 :D , but I don't know whether is makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

isaos wrote: »
    Would you or can you consider solar panels on your roof?

we did that, and we have hot water all day in the summer without having to turn on the immersion - our ESB bills have gone way down, even last year.

Our water comes directly from the well, through filters for what comes into the house (same reasons), and our immersion works on both systems. Heating comes through a Stanley oil range.
    Now we have a main pressure system, I totally refused keeping a tank in the attic (except for the expansion tank) as we have been flooded after a pipe burst in 2010 :D , but I don't know whether is makes a difference

Fair point - I must look into it.

What temp water do you get on average ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm thinking of sticking a small (10 litre), water heater under the sink in my kitchen too, does anyone know how much they cost to run? ... While I'd love too go solar, but it'd cost a fortune to install..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Markcheese wrote:
    I'm thinking of sticking a small (10 litre), water heater under the sink in my kitchen too, does anyone know how much they cost to run? ... While I'd love too go solar, but it'd cost a fortune to install..

Solar installation companies are claiming 10 years before they pay for themselves so you can ad another year or two on top of that.

Under sink heaters are reasonably cheap to run. A rated & 10 litres isn't a lot to heat or keep warm for that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Fair point - I must look into it.

What temp water do you get on average ?

In fact I never bother checking, I always have hot water to do the dishes or have a shower all day long in the summer at least. so I would say usually very hot, anytime we have a decent amount of sunshine.

When the weather is coldish and cloudy and damp like these last 2 days, I turn the heating on a bit anyway (I like my comfort!) so I guess it makes for the lack of sun.

This being said we are in a perfect location, on a height, facing south and getting the sun all day long. Only 2 panels, I am attaching a picture for info!

Advertisement