Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattersalls 2018

Options
  • 05-06-2018 8:43am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Results for this year's event can be found here: https://tatts.ie/competitors/entries-results/

Did anyone manage to get there this year? What day(s) did you go? How was it? Did you have a good time? What did you enjoy (or dislike) most? Was there a good crowd? The weather was really lovely for it, so at least there was no need for wet gear!!!

And I know we can't talk about the event without mentioning Jonty Evans and wishing him all the best in his recovery. It's always so sad to hear about a rider being injured, and I suppose it really brings home to us all the danger element to the sport we love.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Saw the Jonty fall up close, and Fox Pitt just before him at the same element

It didn't look a bad fall at all, he got unbalanced and it was more of an unseat really, and was surprised when he wasn't on his feet straight away. Talk was that he was out cold immediately so that would suggest head injury rather than anything spinal.

I hope he's fine obviously but fairly conflicted about his combination with this horse and what they might do individually or for the Irish team in Tokyo. He has nailed the dressage at 4* level but now has 2 falls in a row, had a bad run out at Badminton last year when bang in contention. At Rio he took every long line - fair enough that gave him a top 10 finish but he gave up any chance of a medal finish with that strategy.

He seems amazingly popular with the public especially in the UK.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

We went on the Saturday this year as we wanted to see the pony jumping which was scheduled to start at 12:40. Got there in loads of time, got good seats beside the arena and waited............and waited........and waited for over an hour then the commentator said that the presentations will be shortly. Apparently they rescheduled the pony jumping to first thing in the morning and we missed it. :(
    We watched some of the cross counrty and the jumping in the afternoon and then went looking at the stalls. There was some fantastic value to be got this year. We got 2 new saddlepads for our pony for €10 each (i'll see have i pics here), waterproof jods for €20 and a tail protector from travelling for €10.
    Had a great chat with the girls in the Redmillls stall about feeding and hoof care so off to research that a bit more. Wasn't a wasted trip at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Went the Friday and Saturday. Saw more xcountry on Friday, spent most of the day in the middle of the two water complexes, and watched a bit of the stressage! That was great actually, I caught a few of the 3* tests, amazing to watch.

Saturday watched a lot of the jumping as the xcountry course was a bit crowded for my liking. The shopping was good, but I restrained myself and didn't buy anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

Thank you Facebook.. I didn't go but there were amazing videos and pictures of the course on-line.

Does anyone have news re Jonty?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

isaos wrote:
    Does anyone have news re Jonty?

He's stable, according to Horse&Hound yesterday. The same article asked people to stop ringing the hospital asking for updates. Apparently it's bad enough to interfere with the hospital's running

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I don't understand why people would keep ringing a hospital. I thought doctors and hospitals weren't able to give information on patients' condition?

With a head injury, it really does tend to be a 'wait and see' situation. Obviously the first few days are critical, but after that the recovery can vary according to the type of injury, where it was, how serious, etc., as well as on the individual. Some people can receive the same type of injury - one person can be fine, the other can have really serious complications. And unfortunately what can look to be a simple fall can sometimes be the worst - it really all depends on the angle you hit the ground. Just a fraction off can be deadly.

Hopefully Jonty will recover well and have no lasting impact from the injury.

I must have a look at that Facebook page - I wasn't able to make it, but would love to see some of those images and videos of the course.

Sorry to hear you didn't get to see what you went there for, Charlie. Hopefully the girls still enjoyed their day and took a lot out of it, as well as enjoying all the necessary gear they brought home!

With regards to the partnership of horse and rider: unfortunately I'm not so familiar with the pairing as you seem to be, but I actually don't have any issue with riders taking the 'safe' or 'long' option at fences. I strongly feel that a few extra time penalties, while can make the difference between 1st and 2nd, are much to be preferred than 20 penalties for a run out. When I used to event, I always tended to take the 'long' option; granted I was riding TBs so speed was never an issue, but I always thought avoiding a situation was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

convert wrote:
    I don't understand why people would keep ringing a hospital. I thought doctors and hospitals weren't able to give information on patients' condition?

No, I don't understand it either. I'm pretty sure they can't, but even if they could, I wouldn't dream of ringing about anyone that wasn't family or a friend. Even at that, it would only be if I couldn't get through to anyone else who would know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

An update on Jonty's condition has been released by his family. The Irish Times have an article here: https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/family-give-update-on-condition-of-event-rider-jonty-evans-1.3526896%3fmode=amp

It's such a worrying and stressful time for them. My best wishes to them at such a difficult time and to Jonty for his recovery.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Went on Thursday and with the heat and the lack of crowds it was really nice, watched a bit of dressage and caught up with friends. Most of the stalls were open

Advertisement