Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking or Paving - Which is best?

Options
  • 04-06-2018 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hi I have 10 foot x 24 foot outside the back door - which I hope to deck or pave. There is about a 1.5 foot drop out the patio doors - so decking would be good as could rise it to be flush with the door. But I think decking may look nice when finished first but to keep it right requires a lot of maintenance.

I in north dublin city - any idea roughly what either would cost ? any recommendations of a good guy to do job ? Would you pave or deck the area? Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Paving, Decking looks nice but is crap after the first year - Slippy and incredibly dangerous. So i wouldnt have it out the back door again (ever)

It also deteriorates and needs yearly maintenance cleaning or painting.

Never again!

Paving for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Second that ^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Paving....no doubt about it.

The cost will depend on the paving you choose. Labour will be around €40-50 per metre. The pavers will be around that price too, depending on what you buy. You should be well covered going at a price of €100 per sqm, so you will need about 23sqm = €2,300. You may need some sand and hardcore, so the price will go up by another hundred easy enough.

You could have a concrete step built to match the width of a paver (typically 30-40cm) and pave on top of it. This should bring the price to €2,600.

Of course, you could look at adverts and donedeal for for better prices of used pavers. I did well on donedeal. I got sandstone reclaimed for about €15 per sqm and it was around 23sqm iirc.

If you decide to self install used pavers, your approximate costs will be:

23SQM of pavers at €20 per sqm = €460. Add delivery €40 = €500.
    1T of hardcore & 1T of paving sand, plus a couple bags of cement = €150 delivered.

A couple of cases of cold beer for the help you roped in €50.

Have fun ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Paving, definitely. Not only do decks deteriorate quickly in the Irish climate, they're also an ideal nesting ground for vermin.

Next door neighour pulled up their deck the other week and found 5 rat carcasses under a deck that was no more than 6ft x 10 ft!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

What does "best" mean?

In terms of maintainability yes decking requires more elbow grease but if you oil it you can get a good couple of years out of it. I was using a ronseal "ultra tough" stuff and it broke my heart peeling so bit the bullet and power washed , sanded and then put some decking oil on it and it's held up very well.

Deck has been down a good 5 years+ at this point. Wanted to do a pergola so had to peel it back to expose some timbers to attach the uprights to and timbers bar one part were perfectly sound.

My deck is raised a good couple of feet off the ground though and this has helped with drainage but some decks seem to be practically on the ground so when it rains they become almost water logged. Good planning is essential for a deck to work in Ireland. i.e. position. Must be in the place which gets the most sunlight which sometimes is not the back door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Decking is so so common.

I think decking gets an unnecessarily tough time when it's being discussed. A lot of people give out about how slippery it is, and about how it requires maintenance. But most people already know that before they buy it, so I don't understand the harsh criticism it gets.

I think a well thought-out, with a decent hand rail or such has a much better 'wow' factor than practically any paving. But keeping a deck right, and making it look good, is the hard part.

I've had a deck down for about 3 years now, and it's been power-washed each year, but has otherwise had no maintenance, and it is starting to show some signs of wear. It looks like it has dried out a bit. There are definitely a handful of boards that could do with replacing, but i could completely have avoided it by just giving it a proper oiling and such when it needed it.

(but i put an extension onto my house, and had to move a large shed that was beside the deck, up onto the deck, so i knew it would be getting covered. My deck is also a big high as my garden had a steep-ish gradient that i've since had levelled out, so the deck will ultimately need to come out, I'd say).

But i still think the deck looked great and when maintained looked really standout in the garden.

This year (within the next fortnight i hope) I'm putting down granite paving across the entire garden (minus where the deck is, as the deck is so raised up, but i'll come back to that at a later date).

Paving will be less effort overall, but will blend in and I doubt many people will comment on it in the way people commented on the decking. I'd predict it will blur into the background, and I'm sure it will require a coat of a sealer every year, too.

So for me, it's horses for courses. It's whatever you prefer. If you've a lumpy/bumpy garden then decking would probably be handy as it's elevated and you can level your garden with it much cheaper than i'd imagine you would with paving.

But of course, don't forget that with paving you can simply put in a step or two where necessary.

Decking is so so common.

I don't get that comment at all. It's no more 'common' than paving or water features. People have been getting more into their gardens recently and everyone is doing a bit of everything.

You're probably right. Sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Have a look at outdoor tiles as an alternative. I put in wood effect tiles in the yard and it's brilliant. Completely non slip and maintenance free (as well as being impressions so no miss)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Nermal

Decking is an imported Aus/US practice, not suited to the Irish climate.

• Advertisement

Decking may be OK, but too much of it... And as the above poster says, it doesn't suit the Irish climate. You can break your neck on it in wintertime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Paving, unless you enjoy ice skating, then a deck in the rain is for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Other option in relation to decking is Composite decking. My sister got it done 2 years ago and have done nothing to it and still looks brand new.

Was a bit special at first myself but definitely non slip in wet weather and so far little or no maintenance. Looks wise, it looks better then normal decking.

http://www.compositedecking.ie/composite-decking/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Q. What do you call decking in Ireland?

A. Firewood ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dotsyirl

Paving all the way and as others have mentioned a step is easily built up to pave at the door too.Would highly recommend applying a good sealant after it is laid to prevent any algae growth or getting dirty for an extended period.Stay clear of Thompsons sealants and other similar brands as these cause the paving to become slippery.Pay the extra few quid for a decent one like Protect Guard,expensive but worth every penny and will last near enough 3 years.
    Avoid decking at all costs.....maintenance,dancing on ice and a nightmare for anyone you may have working on your house with ladders in that area.

Advertisement