Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchase of defective laptop

Options
  • 04-06-2018 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I purchased a laptop in 2015. Warranty was up in March. I purchased it at PC World. It has been in to be repaired 3 times, once for Wi-Fi problems and twice for cooling fan being broken amd over heating. I know the warrenty is up but I got an extended warranty for the work that was done last time. The cooling fan is broken again. I do not want to keep bringing It in every few months to have my laptop go into repair for two weeks just to have it break again.

Does anyone know what my rights are? It is the third time getting the fan fixed. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

The repair must be permanent, if the repair is not permanent or they are not capable of repairing it you are entitled to a full refund under the sales of goods and supply of services at 1980.

Best of luck getting sorted with this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You'd expect a laptop to last more then three years but not hugely more. Use the small claims procedure to claim the value of the remaining life - I'd guess about 40% - and buy from a decent company like Amazon or Komplett.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

You'd expect a laptop to last more then three years but not hugely more. Use the small claims procedure to claim the value of the remaining life - I'd guess about 40% - and buy from a decent company like Amazon or Komplett.

it depends really. PC world sell a lot of notebooks that would be in the sub 400 euro range, if you're paying 250-300 quid for a laptop expecting it to last more than 3 years then you're only fooling yourself in my book.

Secondly, cooling fans breaking is a funny one, I have seen manufacturers and retailers refuse repairs due to finding that fibers from clothing / linen had caused the fan to stop, many lower end notebooks have base mounted air intakes and are designed only to be propped on a desk / flat surface, using a machine with a base mounted air intake on your bed linen / clothing could genuinely cause this failure and I'd bet is covered under improper use in the warranty terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

it depends really. PC world sell a lot of notebooks that would be in the sub 400 euro range, if you're paying 250-300 quid for a laptop expecting it to last more than 3 years then you're only fooling yourself in my book.

From PC World maybe, but there are some decent budget notebooks that will happily last and last.
    Secondly, cooling fans breaking is a funny one, I have seen manufacturers and retailers refuse repairs due to finding that fibers from clothing / linen had caused the fan to stop, many lower end notebooks have base mounted air intakes and are designed only to be propped on a desk / flat surface, using a machine with a base mounted air intake on your bed linen / clothing could genuinely cause this failure and I'd bet is covered under improper use in the warranty terms.

I take your point.

Advertisement