Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Announce the scorecard after each round

• 04-06-2018 5:38pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was watching Glory at the weekend and I was reminded that they do this and I was thinking about if it would be a good idea for MMA as well

On the one hand you'd think it would be a good idea for fighters going into the last round knowing what they need to do.. Although watching Glory this didn't seem to be the reality, none of the behind on the scorecards fighters went all out in the last round headhunting for knockouts... But You would still think it would have to be a good thing, especially for fighters who might be dominating but still losing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,843 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Can work both ways...

Fighters behind could go for it, but fighters ahead could blanket the last round.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah a fighter blanketing with a mind to lose the round but win the fight would be frustrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I would be a fan as I think it affects the outcome of the fight. It can get tactical enough as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Did a promition not do this before..rings a bell

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Mellor wrote: »
    I would be a fan as I think it affects the outcome of the fight. It can get tactical enough as it is.

Did you make a typo? The second sentence sounds like you are against it :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭cletus

There is a certain skill to reading Mellor's posts all right :D

lol yeah.

Typo in the first. Should be "I wouldn't be a fan..."
    cletus wrote: »
    There is a certain skill to reading Mellor's posts all right :D

True. Too much posting from my phone, when half asleep, drunk, etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

dave1982 wrote: »
    Did a promition not do this before..rings a bell

I think it might have been in amateur boxing at one stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The change I would make (in both UFC and boxing) is, keeping 3 judges, but having only one score.

For example if all 3 judges score the round 10-9, then the score for that round is 10-9.

If 2 go 9-10, and the other goes 10-9, then the round score is 9-10.

In the unusual situation of all three scoring the round different, then the middle score is the counting score.

It means that where a judge makes a a bad call in a round, for whatever reason, then rather than counting till the end, it's lost forever.

The change I would make (in both UFC and boxing) is, keeping 3 judges, but having only one score.

For example if all 3 judges score the round 10-9, then the score for that round is 10-9

If 2 go 9-10, and the other goes 10-9, then the round score is 9-10.

What is that going to achieve though? It's the exact same.
    A split decisions winner stil wins. A

• Advertisement

I don't like the idea - part of the skill of the fighter/corner is adapting tactics according to how accurately they're reading the fight. Even more so for close 5 rounders.

It might make 20-18 type fights really crazy for third round though - with loser going crazy chasing the Hail Mary knock-out/sub and lead fighter just going on the run for 5 minutes!

I would love if judges had to 'explain' themselves, even nominally though. In American football refs have to explain certain decisions verbally. If MMA judges had to add some vague commentary to scoresheets as in why no 10-8, or why or what knockdowns/takes downs/defence/ring control etc factored into each rounds decision - all on scorecards and available afterwards would be fair.

Advertisement