Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview Questions 2018

Options
  • 04-06-2018 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

As we are now into the summer holidays, many of us will be spending another summer preparing and doing interviews. I know there are many threads already but with the introduction of the new JCT, child protection etc. A new one might be an idea.

Questions that I have been asked:

Tell us about the ethos of this school? How could you align yourself with this ethos?
    Why do want to work in this school?
    You've worked in a number of schools, what have you learnt??

Classroom management.
    Tell me about the worst classroom incident and how you handled it?
    How do you motivate a ordinary level sixth year student?
    How do you deal with someone who does not like your subject?
    Are
    What does you classroom look like? I have also been asked what way students should sit.

AFL - how do you use AFL in your classroom - obviously learning outcomes/objectives/prior knowledge/questioning/evaluation at the end of class/homework.
    How many times should you assess students?
    How often should you assign and correct homework? Are there advantages to assigning homework? What are they? If a student consistently does not complete homework what do you do?

What would your students say about you?
    Have you ever had a bad interaction with a parent?

Subject knowledge.
    What new curriculum changes have happened in your subject area?
    What do you think of the new JCT programme for your subject?
    Are there improvements to be made?
    Are you part of your subject association? Do you attend subject CPD? Is it useful?

What extra curricular can you offer our school?

Have you anything to ask us?

These are just questions of the top of my head. I would appreciate if anyone reading this could give advice regarding the questions in bold.

For number one, I always say that it's interesting to find out how different schools deal with different behaviours and sanctions and it makes me stronger as a teacher. I don't think it answers the question though.

For number two, I can't think of a time when I have experienced poor classroom management as students know where to tow the line. I don't know - a student using foul language in front of me? How I dealt with it? It's seems a little mild. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Any other questions: How big is the subject department? Are classes streamed? When should I hear the result of interview?

I can't think of anything else, hopefully the helping posters here will add anything I have left out. Thanks in advance. Hopefully this will help us all. Happy job hunting!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭infor123

Take me through a lesson you planned...

How would you teach X (grand if you can just rhyme off something prepprepared but in my last interview I was asked about an actual part of the curriculum).

If I sat at the back of the classroom what would I see

How do you partake in department planning? What’s important about department planning? Talk me through a department plan.

What is the role of pastoral care in the school? What do you think the chaplain does?

How do you feel about the ne JCT? How will it impact on the LC? What would you advise the Government to do...

How will you incorporate the new key skills into your everyday lessons?

How should we link up with parents more? Is it important? How do you feel about the whole area of internet safety.
    How has teaching changed over the years? How has it changed since you were in school?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭roxychix

These help.

After 10 plus years teaching in the same school. Failed APII interviews I became quite disenhearted and have decided a move closer to home is more important for both myself and my family.

So comes the fear of leaving permanent job in Dublin for the uncertainty that a lot of other teachers face.

I have been lucky enough to secure an interview on Mon in a local school but my new issue is what will they ask. what should I prepare. I've been on a career be for the past 2 years so completely out of the loop of the new junior. any tips would be greatly appreciated. the above will give me something to start on thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭infor123

roxychix wrote: »
    These help.

After 10 plus years teaching in the same school. Failed APII interviews I became quite disenhearted and have decided a move closer to home is more important for both myself and my family.

So comes the fear of leaving permanent job in Dublin for the uncertainty that a lot of other teachers face.

I have been lucky enough to secure an interview on Mon in a local school but my new issue is what will they ask. what should I prepare. I've been on a career be for the past 2 years so completely out of the loop of the new junior. any tips would be greatly appreciated. the above will give me something to start on thanks

This was me two years ago. Left permanent job but have been lucky since in that I haven’t been out of work. What are your subjects? Are they in for the new JC YET? If they are read the subject specification if not you should be ok with more general bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

roxychix wrote: »
    These help.

Having been in that school for 10 years they might think you've been 'conditioned' to that particular school. So think about the profile/ethos of the advertised school. Would going from a DEIS school to a Fee-Charging one matter to your teaching, single sex to mixed? (Maybe it doesn't but consider that a lot of principals may see their own schools as very unique, hency they might be have a preference for someone just out of the PME who went to a similar school.
    See if that school has a newsletter on their website, you'll get a sense of what's important to them.

Advertisement